V50 II Ignition Modules

As noted elsewhere, I seem to have blown one of these. OE part is - Bosch 1 217 280 034.

I’ve got a previously used replacement now on order, but in my search yesterday came across this:

http://www.carmousa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=493_4686_1440_1700&products_id=680&zenid=9212pcuk13r5n3or9hh2pqscg1

Does anyone have any experience or views on this product?

Does seem impressive.

“Expensive” was the word I was looking for…

I have been idly wondering whether a unit like the Boyer as used on Nortons etc would work. Essentially all it has to do is to respond to a pulse from the coils, which is probably(?) similar to that obtained on a normal Boyer installation.

Expensive, yes! Compared with this…http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ignition-control-unit-Bosch-1217280034-1-217-280-034-Ducati-Moto-Guzzi-Laverda-/121978297276 :open_mouth:

Yeah - I’d seen that when I was trawling the net on Sunday night. I presume it is a used example of the original unit. Not quite sure given there is no pic.

Looking at the pair of mine; in both cases the resin they are potted up with is lifting away from the inside of the alloy casing - which I guess could lead to moisture ingress. So with one failed I have the lifespan of the other down as questionable. I now have another unit delivered - of similar vintage and showing similar signs of the epoxy delaminating.

So given that this is the last bike I will ever own and I still have years of life (*) left in me I was interested in other hopefully longer term solutions.

(*) Yeah I know - It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.

That is the trouble with a bike built in 1980. Have you tried Reboot and Gutsibits?

Pete says no. As I say, I have a replacement now, it’s just that they are all going to be old.

Meanwhile I have a suspicion that the MOT might have expired on the old girl whilst I’ve been attending to this. There’s always something.

Can you repair the resin fill?

Low volume production for a small niche market, so yeah probably.

I don’t think so. I’m no expert so happy for someone to chime in here. My view of this is that it is solid state, some kind of circuit board is wired in there and then they just pour the resin in and the whole thing is seals for life. My concern is that because I’m seeing some ‘lift’ between the resin filler and the edges of the alloy that moisture has got in there. This might then have got at any circuitry or connections that have become exposed.

I could be entirely wrong and a component has simply failed/fried - but I’d guess that removing the resin non destructively would be nigh on impossible.

I wasn’t suggesting removing it but if you dried out the unit, say in the airing cupboard (permission from a grown up maybe required) you could possibly re-seal it with more resin? :confused:

S/hand replacement worked. Now back on the road.

Good job that man! :smiley: