V50 II oil mist system

???

It would be VERY nice to have explained, in detail, how the difference from “large” Guzzis, to small block Guzzis Work!
As I see it, on my V50 II, the two tubes, coming out of the cyl.head covers, will EMIT some oil vapor?
Yes or no?
If so, the very weak vacuum from the air-filter system, will “suck” those oil vapors into the “collecting” box under the filter body.
Right or wrong?
The collected small amount of oil, will, when there is enough of it, reach the outlet, leading the oil back to the sump.
Correct or incorrect?

In my case, I have discarded the Whole air cleaning system, to let the carburetors Work independently, just having a gauze filter each.
So, now there is no vacuum to the tiny new collector box, I recently purchased from “Gutzibits”.

Still, I connect this small box to the cyl.heads, via a pipe in the (near) bottom of the box, having a socalled "flap valve.
A pipe near & beneath this “flap valve” leads the collected “overflow” of oil Down into the sump.
The new collector box has, on its top, a very small pipe, out into the athmosfare.

Will this Work?
Should I do it otherwise??
Does the cylinderheads really need vacuum, and if yes, why?

I’ve removed this post as it had no tech info
All the best
Steveguzzibrat2013-12-03 07:26:05

Hi Lasse
I suspect that the information from Gutsibits is accurate.
If you follow the link above to Rod Yeoman’s excellent guide there is a section on the small block breather system.
His description is excellent and I could not do it justice by paraphrasing it here
All the best
Steveguzzibrat2013-12-02 20:03:53

The V50 system is very simple. The pressure from the crankcase and engine innards is vented through each tube in the rocker covers. This goes to an oilseperator, a box which slows down the gas enough to let the oil dropets fall to the bottom. There is a tube at the bottom of the box which returns this oil to the sump. Then there is another tube from near the top of the box which is vented to atmosphere, or to the air filter where it is drawn back into the inlet and burned.The tubes from the rocker boxes normally go to about half way up the box, and some boxes will have a flap valve there which helps evacuate the crankcases. Basically it is a simple open breather.The system needs no vacuum to work, there is pressure in the crankcase. The fact that it is fed normally to the air filter is down to EU and US emissions control.

Any idea where this thread of mine went to? cant find it anywhere but need the comments to help me fix my oil breather up now.

Can’t find it using search ~ looks like it’s deleted? Like my Guzzi rebuild topic from last year. There was a prob last year of the database filling up so no more posts could be added, some things had to go to make room.

I really hope that’s not the case Mike…but if that is the case…would someone mind telling me where all the pipes go in the context of my photo above of my oil breather tank please?