Having damaged my long brake hose between the LHS front disc calliper and rear master cylinder, I am struggling to get a replacement. Unable to find any listed replacements, (other than rubber ones from Gutsibits) I obtained a custom made one from HEL only to discover it wouldn’t fit. Seems that the end fitting threads are M10 x 0.9 pitch rather than the assumed 1.0 mm pitch. Does this ring any bells with anyone and would they know where I could obtain the correct pipe. Manufacturers I’ve spoken to don’t recognise the 0.9 mm pitch, so I wonder whether the existing Venhill fittings are in fact 1.0 mm pitch as they seem to be short with only 4 or 5 threads, unlike the HEL one I bought with long threads.
From experience, and i’ve been working fulltime on Guzzi’s for the past 20 years, the Brembo P5 Caliper and the PS15/PS12 Master Cylinders all use a M10 x 1.00mm thread albeit with a slightly shorter Banjo than in comparison with a Jap bike.
Personally i would replace all the hoses as they are well past their sell by date!
As Nik says, I have never seen anything other than M10x1.0 threads used.
I have ordered custom brake lines from Furore products and find them the to be very good. They will make the lines to your requirements and the banjos fit Brembo parts.
What is the length under the head of the original banjo bolts?
The shortest I can find are 18mm long click here You could machine them down if they are too long.
Thanks for confirming the M10 x 1 is the correct size. For some reason when using a thread gauge on the front calliper union thread, it measures 0.9 and not 1.0. However, if the tread is sufficiently short I guess it will be near enough. The HEL pipe I bought has a long thread and a different shape mating surface to the Venhill original, so the thread tightens up before the mating surfaces meet. See The two end fittings. I could try cutting back the female union nuts to reduce thread length I guess. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Sorry ‘gatecrashed’ this thread too as Banjo’s were going to be my next question. It’s well time the 45 year old hoses on my machine are replaced.
I would imagine that companies like HEL do kits for a V50, or you could measure the lengths and get them made at somewhere like Furore Products (see the link above), I prefer the latter option, you can get the fittings and banjo bolts in stainless if you want.
Thanks Don. I think I’ll be going down the made up route… plus a few new Banjo’s. I’m also considering what to do to make the Cable/Remote Cylinder front brake more effective.. but think that deserves its own thread. G
I assume you still have the linked brakes. General opinion about the right hand front brake is to ditch the cable and remote master cylinder and to fit a handlebar mounted master cylinder of about 12mm diameter. This can be off pretty much any bike.
Now you’re reading my mind ![]()
, my next (new thread) question was going to be… what dia Cylinder? - 12mm thanks.
And whether I might expect any meaningful improvement from just replacing the old rubber hydraulic hose with a nice new beaded one? Doubtful! Agree the current set up leaves a lot to be desired.
Go for something like an 11 or 12mm diameter, the larger the master cylinder the shorter the movement of the lever and the more wooden feel to the braking action, a smaller master cylinder will pull back slightly more, but will give more feel when braking.
Replacing the old hoses will actually firm up the braking as the old rubber hoses can expand slightly when subjected to high pressures.
Concerning my original concern regarding the union threads which measured M10 x 0.9 rather than M10 x 1, I ended up sending my original to Venhill who made up replacements with the 0.9 thread pitch. Still don’t understand why mine should be different, but it may be worth checking yours too.