Hi all, when I bought my V50 one of the inlet manifolds had a crack in the splayed part of the flange where the bolts go through to hold it to the cylinder head. I got it welded at first, then managed to get a replacement after a long time looking. But the flanges sit about 2mm away from the cylinder head when the fibre O ring is in place. Temporarily I’ve got the manifolds held by packing this gap with washers as I don’t want to put any pressure on the flange. I’d like them both to sit properly, flange to cylinder head, but in order to do that I’d have to lose the fibre O ring and use a sealant like the one in the picture in its place. Is this a reasonable proposition? Thanks.
(PE engine, 28mm manifold internal bore, after buying some elsewhere initially, which were too small).
I think that they were designed to stand off to reduce heat transfer up the manifolds, but with the short rubber cuffs they quite insulated and a great improvement over Amal mountings anyway!
Designed to sit off the head, not flush?! I’ve been trying to see on photos as I was assuming they were supposed to sit flat on the head, not off it. …I’m a bit concerned that if I leave as is, but remove the washers, if I overtighten I could crack the flange, and if I undertighten, the o ring would compress over time and the bolts would come loose! …Does yours look like this, and is it correct after all? Fair enough if so!
I haven’t owned or spannered a v50 since 1994.
But you wont overtighten it if you are careful.. my years with KTMs and Guzzi drain plugs taught me that torque wrenches are MUCH cheaper than castings lol
Drain Plugs?
Thick O-Ring, a Quarter-Turn past Finger-Tight, Wire-lock. ![]()

