I am planning to replace all the Brake Hoses on my V50; however I’m unsure what fitting to specify to connect the metal brake pipe coming from the Master Cylinder to the front flexible hose.
I do wonder if the best thing to do, if this fitting is hard to obtain, would be one long flexible hose from the Master Cylinder to the Caliper. This would entail a new ‘double banjo plus brake pressure switch’ I think? plus a bit of adjustment to the alignment of the Master Cylinder to fit this around the adjacent frame tube.
Brings me to the question; for linked Brakes, is that fitting where the two pipes divide on leaving the Master Cylinder some form of pressure splitter OR is brake force split between front and back purely on the size of the Caliper Piston size? If it is a pressure splitter of some sort, then the long flexi option would not work.
Check the condition of the rigid metal pipe coming from the manifold splitter unit. The one on my Spada catches muck from under the rear mudguard and was a bit pitted with rust so has been changed in the past.
The manifold splitter unit on a V50 doesn’t contain any special workings, it is just a place to send the pressure feed forwards and back to the two discs. It also has the brake light pressure switch screwed into it so is best to retain this.
To connect to the rigid pipe, you will need a swivel type connecter, Check if you need the male or female option (probably female). This is the set up on my bike.
My T140 is one of those made down in Newton Abbott by Les Harris, after the Meriden Co-op closed down hence having Brembo calipers and Paioli front forks, plus a few other European parts on it.
Thanks Both. I’ll definitely have a good look at that ‘fixed pipe’ and appreciate the guidance on the Swivel Joint - Until I looked properly, I’d kind of assumed Banjo’s everywhere. I’ve not done Brake Pipes before, so will let you know how I get on.
When I was replacing my BMW hoses, I contacted Goodridge. The asked me to send the old ones and made up stainless braided replacements to match with wear rubbers in the right places. I had handlebar extenders for the front brake so they made that one slightly longer for a good fit. No extra cost.
That sounds a good approach and wish I’d thought of it earlier . I ended up with a bit of measuring and have asked Furore to make the short rear and pipe for non linked front disc up for now.
I’ve now done Brake hydraulics before (only been riding since 1979, so time I learned!), so decided to figure the swivel joint out later, I may well ask Furore the same question.