V65 Lario Restoration

V65 LARIO
Message for NAVTRAD or anyone else with a V65 Lario.
I just picked up on your comments and wondered if you still have the lario, and have you done any modifications to resolve the known valve/spring/cam problems.
I am in west midlands and have two larios I am currently working on and wondered if we could compare notes, as it is a difficult situation.
Thanks

1 Like

Hello, yes I do have a Lario and so I’m aware of the potential problem with the valves. I bought it from a friend about 5 years ago but I did so in the full knowledge that it had had its valves replaced by the owner before that - back in 2002. They are 1 piece stainless steel valves and I have the receipt for parts - not cheap as they were over £300 just for the valves 22 years ago.
I’ve read that it’s also a good idea to put in slightly softer springs too but I don’t know what was done at the time. It has had absolutely no problems in my ownership or my friends ownership before that, and it’s done around 20,000 miles now.
Sorry, I can’t be more help but hope someone who has actually done the changes can help.
Regards,
Nigel

My Lario left to a new home some time ago.
The modification it had done included using Suzuki GN250 valves and only the outer of the two concentric valve springs.
The original red line is best reduced by 1000-1500 rpm regardless of any modification.

If you are on Facebook, there is a V65 Lario Owners group with extensive notes on the various modifications to make the bikes more reliable and less likely to self detonate.
It involves different camshaft, valves, springs and spring base retainers from the Nevada or V7C models.

1 Like