V7 Classic Valve clearances

This may seem to be a daft question but I can’t find any reference to setting up the engine position to check valve clearances. Is there a mark to set the position where the valves are closed, or do I just rotate the engine until the push rods are free? Any advice appreciated.

Look in frequently asked questions, the settings may be different from the big block but method is the same

http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum.asp

No marking on the flywheel etc.I just went for tdc.

Ah, the old screwdriver down the plug hole trick!

Peice of copper wire is better.But basically yes.Do you have the clearances as I can look them up tonight.

Well how odd …

Manuals for the bike are available on Guzzitek web siteManuals

A drinking straw id the best thing to use if you are putting anything down the plug hole to check TDC. Use a pencil at your own risk, broken off bits are hard to reteive without a full strip down.

Clearance info would be much appreciated. Ta!

My 2010 manual states
Intake 0.10mm 0.0039in
Exhaust 0.15mm 0.0059in

Not wishing to confuse the issue further, but as has been said before here that is only to keep the rattling noise down so that it passes American engine noise limits, larger gap is better, so I have read. HTH

Thanks Mate!

Not wishing to confuse the issue further, but as has been said before here that is only to keep the rattling noise down so that it passes American engine noise limits, larger gap is better, so I have read.

Aaaagggggggggghhhhh!!!

Inlet 0.1mm 4 thouExhaust 0.15mm 6 thouDon’t go less. I’ve never found increasing the clearance over the official figure on the small block engine produced any benefit apart from noise.

Note to self ~ new V7, small block ~ old V7, big block … they is different … “These ones are small. Those are far away. Small, far away.”