V7 II gearbox/transmission whine

It occurred to me whilst test riding the V85TT that it uses the same gearbox design as the V7 II/III, except it doesn’t whine anywhere near as much.

At first I thought Guzzi must have made some internal changes, like different backlash settings or something, but actually I think the answer’s more straightforward: The V85TT takes 700ml oil compared to 500ml for the V7 II/III.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to try 700ml in the V7 II?

I see in the specs for the V85 TT that " significant work has been done to the gearbox including a synchroniser on first specifically to cut down on whine " so it may not be as simple as adding more oil

CHRIS P

Yep.
Overfilling the gearbox leads to oil coming out the breather, and nicely depositing itself everywhere from there towards the rear tyre!
Happened on her V7II. The bike was in for its first service just before the trip to the Scottish Rally. On the way up there on small roads - no problem. Coming back down along the M74 / M6 (at speed) she covered herself in gearbox oil, which could be traced to the gerbox breather.

As it never happened again, my suspicion is that the dealer over-filled the box, and the surplus ‘vented off’…
Better a ‘whine’ than gravel rash - so stick with the 500ml!