V7 or Breva 750 mpg - what does yours do?

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Update - I’ve been trying the high performance petrol
offered by the major brands in my classic V7 (at extra cost of course), not
supermarket fuel.

I hoped it might improve petrol consumption and performance,
but it appears to have done neither so far.

Anyone else had any experiences with this higher performance
petrol?

A couple of you have made comments about ‘rich stuff’ having
a negative effect on performance – did you mean this type of petrol?

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:“Calibri”,“sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

\

Yes.I have never found any benefit from the higher octane petrol in any of these bikes.In a very high compression engine, it would probably help.

In Tonti framed engines I have found Castrol ValveMaster + is very good.Or just use European fuel.Not needed on the later engines.

Harking back to my previous post, well after another fuel-up showed the much improved 65mpg (more in line with expectations)I think I have a more likely suspect than the screen. The top box and/or saddlebags hanging out in the breeze are the difference, I reckon.
Tonight’s national speed limit run to Thirsk for Teasdale’s Dealer Night with luggage should now settle it.
@iandunmore, Fuelly (click the icon) is just an online fuel consumption diary, depending how you configure it I suppose.
As an aside, I enjoyed your column in The Rider’s Digest 185, so your Breva won an award at a Rally, recently?
I think the forum should be told

Phil

Phil-T, thanks for the comments, it is not so much that I apreciate them but I like to know that I am writing for people rather than an amorphous crowd.As for telling the forum, surely they should be reading the mag as I think it is a good read.And my last fill gave me 42mpg, but it is cold, the tps needs resetting and that was all doing 10 mile trips or less.
iandunmore2013-12-12 14:50:06

Do exact fuel consumption figures really matter? I would argue that it’s only relevant if you usually see a weeks worth of riding to work before the fuel light comes on but it suddenly drops to a couple of days. I’ve got no idea what my Classic does to a tank of fuel because it all depends on how enthusiastic my riding has been on the day and what the traffic was like.

I keep an eye on my consumption figures as a way of telling me how healthy the bike is.But I do see where you are coming from BobV7.Ride it, enjoy it, put fuel in when required.

I dont use the V power fuels
just standard shell stuff
my 14 year old octavia diesel ( non turbo) returns 55mpg and its done 180K I only use shell with it
recent check up the emissions were spot on

More data - 120 miles dual carriageway and clear A roads with the topbox attached knocked the previous 65mpg (clear A roads and no top box) down to 57mpg, which is useful to know when I need to plan stops.

Phil.

Update:Now it’s more run in, I’ve done 4500 miles, my V7 is getting around 54 to 56 mpg, & it doesn’t seem to make much difference how I ride it.

It’s still not run in yet! you will feel a difference as the miles build up, mine kept on improving right up to 10k - felt more responsive and the gear box get’s better, not that it was ever bad - just improved shifts.
My mpg is pretty much the same as everyone else’s hear, 55 - 60mpg around town and going to work (10 mile commute so it warms up nicely) 65 - 70 mpg on a long run even with a pillion, screen and luggage at a steady 60 - 65mph (I like to take in the sites and I want to be able to stop in time to pick up the odd pheasant that may be waiting at the side of the road to be picked up! LOL).

I have a V7Classic Cafe year 2010. I get anywhere from 58 to latest 71MPG; it all depends on how often the tach needle sees 7500 and for how long.
The high figure is in summer and less warm-up is required. These are cold-blooded engines, the 2012 onwards may be better with only one Injector and 2 O2 sensors.
See my incorrectly placed Post under “Sales”. Cheers, DD in Canada.

59 mpg with 330 miles on the clock.

I doubt this figure as there was a lot of messing about with the dealers gallon as supplied, cans I’d drained out of the to-be-traded bike etc. but I still monitor it as way of checking the general health.

I’m usually pretty light on fuel (75 kg rider, no excess luggage, pretty much obey the speed limits). I averaged 65mpg over 10000 miles on a Suzuki WeeStrom, so hopeful that the V7 will be doing similar by next year.

Andy

Sorry but no idea of the MPG; usually just fill up when the light comes on at around 160 miles.

Did I misunderstand the performance graphs for my 2010 V7 because according to those everything is over between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm, so why go to 7,500 unless you just enjoy the noise?BobV72014-05-07 09:22:14

Got to agree with BobV7’s post.
I tend to tramp on, but there is little to be gained above 6,500rpm other than in 1st.
Keep it busy between 4,300 and 6,500 and the mix of progress and economy is stunning. 22,000 mile Breva and getting easy low sixties “B” road bashing.

My 2013 V7 Stone after 2500 leisurely miles on rural roads has averaged 61mpg.

Between 55 & 65 mpg depending on usual variables with the V7 Stone (unfaired).

39-45 mpg comuting 5 miles to work.62 mpg going to the Twits Rally over the weekend.

Topic: V7 or Breva 750 mpg - what does yours do?
None of you are getting anywhere near 750mpg, what do you think is wrong?

Who says you should get 75mpg?