V7 or Breva 750 mpg - what does yours do?

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi

I just bought a Guzzi V7 & joined the MGCGB, and I was
just wondering what mpg members tend to find their V7s or Breva 750s get?

At the moment I seem to get 52-55 mpg, is this
normal?

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:“Calibri”,“sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Assuming it’s a brand new bike, that figure will improve.
The single throttle body system should make it more economic than the Breva 750.Brian UK2013-11-24 08:24:34

2007 Breva with 10100 miles on odometer worst is 14.0 miles per litre (63 mpg) and best is 16.5 miles per litre (72 mpg) based on difference in odometer readings between fill-ups and brimming tank on centre stand. Ridden by 70kg. plodding pensioner in his seventies.dazz2013-11-23 23:10:32

I bought my 2008 750 Breva at the end of may with just under 8000 miles on the clock and have done 3200 miles at an average of 58mpg. I am a bit of a fat git though so somebody less bulky could well achieve more.

oafski2013-11-23 23:07:37

Not broke in to the 70 mpg’s my self on my 56 Breva, but getting up that way on a run back from the Mosel valley in Germany to Manchester via the Chunnel.
Drops a bit when playing hard round the twisties, but at worst high fifties.
As Brian says, they take a while to loose up and bed in.
You have to learn hour to ride them too.
Get on Bridestone BT45 as soon as you can too.

lowest is 55mpg hammering it 2 up when newish
now average around 60 to 65 mpg 2 up

And as i said, the new V7 with the single TB should be better than that when run in a bit.

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Thanks everyone, interesting replies. The bike has done 1000 miles, so I guess it will loosen up more over time.The very latest upgrade to the V7 engine is seen in the new Stone & Special models from late 2012 onwards, & that is claimed to increase fuel consumption over mine, the Classic.Also I think my riding style is adapting as I get used to the engine characteristics, I’m still not sure if I’m changing up too soon, which makes the engine labour. But if I change up later, it’s revving harder so using more fuel?!

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:“Calibri”,“sans-serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

60 mpg on long runs, 45mpg comuting to work.

I am with Ian; approx 45mpg on a 2003 18,000 mile Breva. However, almost 100% commuting in London, stop start sprint to next lights etc. Not good for economy!

2013 750 stone , 3800 mls , 65 mpg .

Yes 5 sets of lights in 4.8 miles.Good fun though, it still makes me smile.Tried castrol ValeMaster + and came down to 42mpg and running rougher.Will fill up tomorrow and see what the difference is.

I traded in my thirsty expensive Rocket earlier in the year for a more economical V7 Special. I was amazed to find on a tour of Scotland in June that it returned (on one occasion) 68 mpg!
I have to admit that my companion , on his BMW 800 something or other , and I had missed fuelling in Glasgow and I was running at low revs in a high gear slowly to preserve fuel along Loch Lomandside and beyond and some miles of this was in a traffic queue going slowly. (boy there really should be comma’s in there somewhere!)

Nevertheless I am very pleased with its fuel consumption which is marginally better than my everday all year round workhorse Jawa 350 Classic!

Obviously the mpg varies depending on how one is driving but I have never had less than 50+ from it , thats including 70-80mph on the same tour coming home on the A1 , a lot of it in absolutely pissing rain I might add.

baldybiker2013-12-05 13:41:53

it certainly improves once run in, thats around the 8k mark
also using decent quality fuel
I only use shell now
avoid cheap supermarket stuff
in cold weather it will take longer to warm up so economy will suffer a little
I have seen 70mpg when used carefully touring in europe

I can remember getting 68mpg out of the Spada III two up in France. 65mpg was normal.I have personally never noticed any different with Supermarket fuel, and it’s not cheaper anyway.

Late to the party, I’m a bit nonplussed by the figures.
Y’see, when I do the numbers in my head I imagine I’m getting 60-66 mpg,
But since I signed up to fuelly (see Sig) the figure is 57 mpg.
This revision coincides with refitting the MG screen for winter comfort, but I never noticed a difference when first I unmounted it.
Can’t have been paying attention at the time, I suppose.
The screen costs about 10% in fuel economy, if I can believe my own evidence.

Phil

You could try adjusting the angle of the screen to see if it makes any difference. Clearly a barn door mounted at 90 degrees to the airflow will have more effect than one mounted at 45 degrees.

What is fuely.To do the sums divide mile done by litres used then multiply by 4.54.Accurate enough.With Brian on fuel, I use cheap and cheerfull and it runs better.In 1981 a mate borrowed ny 250N superdream to take his test and afterward filled it up with 4 star. It ran like a pig untill I could dilute it down with borrowed army no star benzine.

3.5k miles now on clock of the 2013 Stone Nero with no encumbrances apart from me at 100 kgs and saddle bags.

Initially 55 - 57 mpg. Of late 63 - 65 mpg. Mix of supermarket and major brand fuels used - no preferences apart from rich stuff “seems” to bog it down. No objective data on this just a ‘dyno-bum’ feeling.

Yes the rich stuff does make it run rough.Apparantly you should get 5mpg more than me.Of topic, I am 101kgs and 1m81mm.By my bmi that makes me obese, I would argue I am not really overweight.