V7 Sport Gear change question

I love the look of the original V7 Sport and I’m seriously considering buying one. However, I am a little concerned about the right-foot gear change, having ridden left-foot gear change bikes for most of my 40 years of riding.
There have been two exceptions. One was a Commando, back in the 80s and the other is my current Airone. The Airone is not a quick bike and gear changing is usually done in a considered manner, so is not a problem. However, I remember mixing up the brake and gear change on my Commando all those years ago.

So, getting to my question ( finally ) is it possible to swap the brake and gear change on the V7 Sport ? And is this heresy ?

The answer is yes, you need some 850T parts. The controls on the 850T was basically the same as the 750S but with the foot controls swapped (US market?) using a pair of cross shafts and with the rear brake operated by a rod rather than a cable. On my bike I swapped the gear change back from left to right so it would be the same as on my Triumph, see here https://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=27785 You would need a few parts, the cross shafts and their support brackets/bearings, brake push rod, pedals etc. There is a page of the parts book in my post.
It is possible to do, but probably easier just to get used to the right hand gear change. If you forget, and use the gear lever in stead of the rear brake the effect is similar as it locks up the rear end! Guess how I know? :smiley:

Thanks Chris,
I think you’re right, and the best option would be to leave it alone unless I find that I really have a problem.
However, it’s good to know that there is an option to change if necessary.

I think the hardest bit would be getting the parts, I have seen one 850T broken for parts in the USA in the past couple of years but cannot remember one over here. You could ask the usual suspects, Gutsibits, Reboot etc?
Think of diagonals, brakes right hand and left foot, gear change left hand and right foot. My problem came when I had two bikes on the road one RH change and one LH, never a dull moment :smiley:

Good point. I guess, at a push, I could get the necessary parts made. Or… maybe I should go for a 750 S3, which is like the missing link between the V7 Sport and the Lemon.

True Richard, but without wanting to open the same can of worms again and upsetting 750S3 owners, the 1974 750S had similar performance to the V7 Sport but it was just a styling exercise to fill the gap before the Le Mans. The 1975 750S3 did not have the performance of the previous two models, it used many engine parts of the 850T3 including the camshaft but with 750cc capacity.

It did have some improvements over the V7 Sport and 750S with the rear cush drive, better clutch and drive shaft bearing, oil filter in the sump and later models had the lighten flywheel of the Le Mans (earlier ones had the heavier 850T3 flywheel!)

My information comes from Ian Falloon’s “Moto Guzzi Sport and Le Mans Bible” and contemporary road tests. As Adam (Italian Motor) asked me when this came up before, “Have I ridden one?” and my answer is no. They make a lot of money these days, often more than a V7 Sport ,so you will have to make your own mind up, at least you would have right hand rear brake but this would be linked to the left front disc.

Ian Faloon says that the 1974 750S had the changed right hand rear brake as on the 850T with twin front discs opperated from the handlebar lever, so that maybe a better solution, as it is nearer to a V7 Sport in specification, the downside is the cost of a 750S today, if you could find one for sale!

I am not saying that the 750S3 is a bad bike, heaven forbid, I’m sure it is great to ride and in 1975 it was the Guzzi flagship sports bike (although they were still making a few V7 Sports), but the information above is from people with a greater knowledge of the model than me. These bikes are not cheap and you would be best advised to do as much research as possible before parting with your cash. Best of luck