V7 Stone test ride

Hi all,
I sold my Breva1100 in the summer after 5 years of happy ownership as I had to have heart surgery. It was a brilliant bike and I was sad to see it go. I am recovered now and need another Guzzi. I fancy a V7 Stone or classic, but not sure if they would be a bit underpowered. (I have read the post about a racer on here). I am interested in the 2012 on bikes which have a bit more oomph.

I want a test ride but my nearest dealer is Twiggers, who insist on providing my own insurance for their demo bike. I’m insured with Carole Nash &'they will not insure any bike not owned by me. Twiggers suggested an insurer who do day insurance but I have tried several and a week is the min they will do. I have never had this problem before & don’t want to buy a bike without a ride.Â

Any comments would be welcome. Cheers

I bought my V7 Stone in 2013 untried. Based on reports and looks I went ahead. After 30 miles of rain after I picked it up from Falkirk the rain stopped and I have had a grin ever since. Whilst it has a modest bhp it ticks most boxes for me on northern Scottish roads. The Sportie 1100 does the other box ticking.

Your CN insurance presumably covers you for TPFT for a machine you don’t own.
Twiggers stance seems a bit churlish or is this a medical derived insurance issue? As my nearest dealer is some 150 miles away I tend to use the one I get the best vibes from.
Anyway I would suggest you press on with obtaining a test run and let us know your thoughts.

The Stone V7 mk2 is encumbered with unessential technodumbdown stuff however - IMHO. TCS/ABS - er…why?

Because it’s going to be mandatory in 2016?

I fancy a V7 Stone or classic, but not sure if they would be a bit underpowered.

Having just got a maxi-scooter (with TCS & ABS!) of ‘only’ 33 bhp it’s sobering to be reminded how much power you ACTUALLY need for most if not all practical everyday purposes.

I’m really surprised how many people come across dealers who insist on insurance provided by the test rider when they try to sell you a bike. Have you ever heard of such a thing in the car world? I would have thought dealer insurance would be tailored for this sort of thing.

As a complete contrast to this, Helena and I both test rode the CCM GP450 Adventure last Saturday. CCM made a special journey down to Horsham for this that was much appreciated.

Jon

Both Teasdates and the one in Shipley offered me a test ride without any hassle.

The West Yorkshire branch of the paramilitary (laser gun) wing of HMRC can confirm V7’s are not short of power :cry: ABS to me would be a useful addition, the combination of shaft drive and the OE tyres make locked wheels an everyday event in winter, but you can of course just tone down how you ride and manage as is. When my Stone hits 10000 miles without any hassle it will officially be my favourite bke ever :mrgreen: :smiley: :smiley:

Andy

This insurance thing with a dealer, (I think it was the same one you mention), wanting you to get your own insurance for a test ride was mentioned in a thread a while back on here, I’m sure if you search for it you might find it, or the way this forum is right now you may not!

Anytime I have had a test ride, all I’ve had to do was show both parts of my license and sign a disclosure stating that I will pay the excess on THIER insurance policy should I have a bump. As far as I was lead to believe that is standard practice.

I found the thread after a bit of phaffing about!
, click on link below,
http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23131

Well I was looking at getting a V7 Stone, but they are not cheap enough to make a mistake. I too was concerned about the bhp. Then a low mileage Breva 750 came up at less than half the price of the Stone. So I opted for that. 2 years 20,000 miles later I regularly take Breva out in favour of the V11. Regular Sunday ride outs B road bashing up to 400 miles a day at the top of summer. The 2.5 mile commute to work or an 8 day biking holiday to the Stelvio pass. The only place I have found the 750 lacking is above 85-90 when it starts to run out of puff and the suspension starts gets your attention. The V7 is meant to have a few ponies more than the Breva and I too would opt for the 5 speed single throttle body version. I have only sat on a V7, not ridden, but from that experience, be read to spend a bob or two on a custom seat. This is one place the Breva 750 scores really well. Oh and the potential for 70mpg is nice. Out on the motorway abroad the 130kmh is around the top end of the 750’s cruising speed and at that point you will miss the 1100’s option to muscle out of a situation. Backing off will more often be the enforced choice.