V85 launch date

Riding in the sea? Does that mean it will be ok on UK roads in winter? :unamused:

Here are a few pics I took at the Milan show. I have sent some more to Roger for inclusion in the next Gambalunga. Enjoy.

IMG_2558 by Christopher Horton, on Flickr

IMG_2539 by Christopher Horton, on Flickr
IMG_2549 by Christopher Horton, on Flickr
IMG_2551 by Christopher Horton, on Flickr
IMG_2554 by Christopher Horton, on Flickr

Saw it at the bike show last week: impressive but why the high mudguard?! Other manufacturers with extensive off-road heritage (KTM, BMW etc) seem to be happy with lower mudguard. Last bike I had with a high guard splattered bike and rider! Right on the money, for the expanding mid range ADV bikes market, as regards weight/tank size etc. However, it will have a tougher time in comparative tests than the V7 methinks. As with any new-to-market bikeā€¦wait for the Mk 2!

It will be interesting to see what they compare it to. There are not many 850 shaft drive adventure bikes about

Agreed about the mudguard, but thatā€™s the only negative I have heard. I am sure the aftermarket companies will cotton on to that one.

It will probably be compared with the BMW 750 or 850 GS, Triumph Tiger 800, Honda Africa Twin, Yam Tenere, KTM 1090, Suzuki V-strom 1000, Ducati Multistrada 950. Most of which are more powerful.( 750 GS excepted) None are shaft drives.
Guzzi have found a gap in the market :astonished:

I think they should be applauded

The mudguard is following current fashion, so shouldnā€™t be too surprising.

+1
Itā€™s a Guzzi
Itā€™s a new, fresh look for Guzzi.
Looks new and yet classic. The black red tank reminded me of the LMII.
Pre launch order books suggest that they will sell some.
Steve

Iā€™m fed up with ā€˜adventureā€™ bikes (whatever that means) but I like the V85 a lot, especially the red one.

Roy Green from the Forest of Dean

PS. I think the size of this bike, both frame and engine is what appeals. ie. not enormous like the Stelvio or GS.

Itā€™ll still not compare to my Buellā€¦
WP_20170418_14_00_21_Pro.jpg

Buells are cool! Iā€™d like another one. My son took mine fore a joy ride and wrote it off!

I like like a V85 too.

Which I think is an interesting point. There seems to have been enormous excitement within the community for this forthcoming new Moto Guzzi. Have we all really been waiting all this time for a down sized Stelvio? Surely not. But weā€™ll all be queuing up to buy it because of the name on the tank ā€“ right?

Well not me. I donā€™t want an adventure bike of any stripe, even if this one was fitted with carbs. Personally I even thought the Stelvio was uglier than a box of frogs. Now the Griso to my eye was pretty much the best looking production bike ever made, and it was a Moto Guzzi. So I bought one.

And that didnā€™t turn out well! :smiley:

You try two up through the Alps with full luggage on a Griso and you will start to see the attraction of a Stelvio. :smiley:

To be clear, Iā€™m not questioning the capability of the Stelvio at all, and Iā€™m also happy to accept that it is my eye that is more jaundiced than most when peering at one. Obviously they are not for me.

I have ridden my V50 two up and loaded with camping gear through the Alps, though not recently. It was a slog.

The V85TT is, of course, a start point rather than an end point.
Piaggio have promised that the V85 platform will be used for a range op models in due course. Still not to everyoneā€™s taste but not all enduro styled bikes.
Interesting times,
Steve

Oh no, thatā€™s just put me right off. Please donā€™t refer to it as ā€˜the V85 platformā€™. A dreadful term if ever there was one. I know, I know, call me old fashionedā€¦

Roy Green from the Forest of Dean

The number of people who seem to ride around on these ā€œmid rangeā€ AS bikes (errā€¦thatā€™ll include me then!) would appear to suggest that lack of shaft drive is not considered an issue but good on Guzzi for sticking to itā€™s principals. Still only be a niche seller though. Celebrate the fact that Piaggio are still investing!!

+1 for that
Steve

Dealer rang me yesterday to inform me he should have the V85 on demo form the 1st or 2nd week in March. I put my deposit down a fair few monthā€™s ago, so Iā€™m really looking forward to a ride on this.
At this moment in time itā€™s going to have to be very good to temp me away from my Tiger 1200. At the moment I have a very nice 1100 Breva, but Iā€™ve a real itch for a Griso.
Maybe Iā€™ll keep the Tiger and chop the Breva for a Griso. In a couple of years Iā€™ll reach the ripe old age of 65 by which time I may be looking for a lighter adventure style bike.

A lot depends on the test ride, Iā€™ll let you know. In the meantime if anyone has a very nice Griso they may be looking to move on, let me know.

Just wondering. Is the tank on the new bike plastic or steel?

I donā€™t really care what they compare it too. So long as it goes well and does itā€™s job, it already has the looks. I care not about bhp, speed comparisons or 0 - 60 times. That is all bullshit as far as I am concerned. There isnā€™t really any competition in the shaft drive sector - only a GS and that is a different kettle of fish. I am sure it will perform as well as my 650 V Strom and have the character that it lacks and that is good enough for me. If itā€™s MCN theyā€™ll probably compare it to a Burgman and a Z900rs anyway!