Valve Clearance - Cali 1100i

Can’t seem to get an answer in the search box so can anyone please tell me the Valve Clearances for a 1996 Cali 1100 i.Thanks Ian

FAQ.http://motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15704

Thanks Brian but all I’m getting is this Only members with sufficient permission can access this page. and I’m logged in the members section.Ian

Don’t know whats going on there re login.

Anyway the data on the thread is taken from here
http://www.raceco.com/technical.html#tappet

Also use this method to set them curtsy (whoops spelling) courtesy of Guzzibear - ask me how I know it works

tris2013-07-03 07:36:47

Well go to the FAQ section and look rather than click on the link.

8 thou in 10 thou ex thats nice and loose,my hand book says, in 0.1 mm, ex 0.15 which is 4 thou and 6 thou bit tight ithinkgonk2013-07-03 09:39:29

I have 1995 cali 1100i and according to the owners handbook supplied its states tappet clearances as intake valve 0.10mm and exhaust valve 0.15mm it goes on to say that the USA version are intake 0.05 and exhaust 0.10 so I don,t understand where raceco are getting 0.20 and 0.25 they make enough noise on the correct settings raceco’s settings seem too loose clearances are only for taking up expansion of metal when hot therefore 0.10 and 0.15 should be perfectly fine are raceco talking about a standard engine or something tuned ?Dave Richardson states in Guzziology US .05 & .10 rest of the world .10 & .15 he states the smaller clearances are for US emissions reasons but Guzzi had tested engines for 70,000 miles on the smaller clearances to no ill affect !!so it get more confusing personally as a mechanic of over 45 years I go with what the factory says they have a lot more knowledge and better resources than I do and I am sure they would want to avoid warranty claims from dis-information
Mick

Too loose is better than too tight I remember years ago a big discussion about valve clearances many “Home” mechanics do set them far too tight it is alright some one actuallyy trained to use a feeler guage BUT many are not they tighten the tappet down onto the feeler so the tappets do end up very tight indeed.

I have more than once checked fellow members tappet clearances that they checked at .10mm and .15mm and they were alot tighter than that. Got them to show me how they set theirs and then showed them how to actually use a feeler gauge

This is one of those jobs that IS easy to do BUT I reccomend ANYONE doing this themselves get someone , local Branch or even friendly mechanic to SHOW you how and what a “Loose sliding fit” actually feels like.

So long as the feeler guage is not gripped, ie. a sliding fit, all should be OK.

One guy wondered why his valves were so tight, the clue was the feeler guage looked like it had been “Punched” …That’d be Gripped then …

Thanks for the info, now set at 10 and 15. Having worked on engines of various types for most of my working life ( I got my bus pass 6yrs ago) and watching others, I have noticed quite a few people use feeler gauges incorrectly.Only the tip of the feeler gauge should be used and should cover the end of the valve stem and be in line with the rocker arm. Some use the middle or even the wide part of the gauge at 90o to the rocker arm, in some cases this can then be in contact with the curved inner part of the rocker arm giving a faults reading.Ian