VHB carb 'squirting' problem - help!

My V35 II now has a spark on both plugs, but trying to start it the LH carb (VHB 26) is squirting petrol from just below where the choke attaches to the carb. This only happens when the choke is in, not when it is off. The fuel is exiting a hole in the carb body. The choke mechanism has the O ring present. Any ideas on how I can fix this would be very welcome!

Compare both carbs, although other one has the same hole pointed “inward”, not “outward”. Very strange, I’d expect carb to suck some air there, not spit fuel. When you lift the choke lever, you open bypass and fuel is sucked by a jet in the very corner of the bowl. Therefore, if spat, this must happen… when the inlet valve is closed? Or is supposed to be closed, yet some compression is pushed back to inlet duct? So, what about valve clearance?

1 Like

Good point I’ll check if it is happening in the other carb - yes it would be squirting in, not out, as you say. It’s a mystery, I need to keep digging

If you have a stuck-open float needle that might let fuel squirt out of any open orifice?

Turns out you were right..! The problem was the valves, and the carb squirting was just a symptom of that. Have sorted the valve gaps and the carb problem has now gone away.

3 Likes