Wanted: V7 Front Mudguard

Having bought a V7 850 Special (which I’m very pleased with) the front mudguard is a little short, in my view. I see that certain V7 models have a much longer front mudguard. If any one has swapped theirs out for something trendier, I would be happy to purchase the old one.

Cheers,
Steve

I put on a fender-extender, but I’m not sure it helps that much. You also need to put on a rubber skirt or flap between the rear tyre and the front of the swingarm, to stop muck being chucked into the back of the gearbox, which will seize up the clutch arm. Then soak the arm pivot with oil or aerosol grease. I made my flap from a cheap motorbike or scooter mudflap.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike - great tip. I’ve just done exactly what you suggested. I happened upon a (brand new!) mudflap that had been sitting on the bench for years and it fit perfectly - what are the odds?! I’m now looking around for a full-length front mudguard from a V7.

Cheers,
Steve

Mine fitted perfectly as well, even the screw holes lined up with the free ends of the slots in the frame bracket. :grin:

1 Like

Same here :+1:

i’ve ordered a fender extender from gutsibits but sounds like it may not be fit for purpose as it is not long enough - perhaps sourcing a non moto guzzi specific mudguard might solve the issue?

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a chance of a used one but felt that £150 was a bit strong for a used mudguard. It looks like a Nevada one might be the same size but I have yet to confirm that (might help broaden my pool of available items).

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,
Steve

Do you have a picture of what you mean by the rear skirt on the V7? Been riding the last few weeks and my bike is covered in mud, especially the rear.

I’ll see if I can get a photo up. It’s just an normal flexible mudflap designed to be fitted to the rear ‘trailing edge’ of a back or front mud guard.

By fitting it to the ‘front end’ of the rear mudguard it does the job of protecting the clutch arm on the back of the gearbox. There are a couple of small nuts and bolts there that fit perfectly.

Cheers,
Steve