What does this do on a Convert please ?

[QUOTE=DazGuzzi] [QUOTE=Duffo]

Hope you still have the parking caliper and pads as they are made of unobtanium. Did a mod on a JZR kit car, for the handbrake, using an early Honda 100 mechanical caliper which fitted where the Convert caliper went with only minor mods. Mind you the Honda caliper might be hard to find now.Cheers, Gerry.PS the sidestand actuated brake did both jobs, holding the bike if parked on a hill and stopped it taking off while the engine was running and you got your lid and gloves on.
[/QUOTE]

Hi, the reason i asked was that a convert on ebay i fancied clearly did not have this item fitted. The importers had no idea about this and my concern was that it would cost a fortune to sort.

I ended up not bidding and it sold this week for £2150.

Cheers Daz[/QUOTE]

Hans at Early Motors has a convert for sale…

Here are a couple of pictures of the park brake caliper

\

Normski’s right according to Haynes diagram neutral light goes back to ‘switch on clutch control wire’, which simultaneously enables starter relay. So clutch in for green light, then starter will work.

I am getting more and more curious about how these beasts work. I didn’t think thy had a clutch in the traditional sense. I always thought they were rev and rip, like a Honda 50. Auto cars don’t have a clutch, but I guess they have a park position with the drive disabled.Ray You fancy making your next Spada a convert, I want to see how these things work!

[QUOTE=Don-Spada] I am getting more and more curious about how these beasts work. I didn’t think thy had a clutch in the traditional sense. I always thought they were rev and rip, like a Honda 50. Auto cars don’t have a clutch, but I guess they have a park position with the drive disabled.Ray You fancy making your next Spada a convert, I want to see how these things work!

[/QUOTE]

Older Traditional auto’s don’t have a clutch, modern auto’s often do, my Peugeot is automatic with no clutch pedal , but it has a standard 5 speed gearbox and clutch , it uses 3 solenoids to control the clutch and gear selectors . VAG awfull dsg auto box has twin clutches and dual gear shafts

Nice article on converts

http://www.hoohoohoblin.com/MotoGuzziV1000Convert.htmguzzi-t52013-09-04 21:16:54

It has a conventional clutch, used when starting, especially if any revs are used.There is no neutral, just high and low ratios. Most people say not to change on the move, but some say it’s ok. You can leave it in high for a leisurely ride and lower revs at speed, or in low if in town or if you want a more spirited take off.Mine has had the safety switches removed - not needed. Parking brake is good though.

Could a cable not be routed to the rear brake pedal, thus operating the conventional rear brake? Just a thought.

No the park brake would not be powerful enough it has very small pads and is only a park brake. Older Guzzis the V7 Cali/Ambassador and early t 850 and early 750’s did have a drum back brake.

Don I have a spare manual you can borrow with the details on the Convert if you want?

Yes it has a multi-plate wet clutch, like a ‘normal’ mo’syckle one, so the Haynes diagram establishes that you need to disengage this clutch else starter won’t be allowed to work. Note this will disconnect engine from transmission so make it easier to start and give the starter motor an easier time. Also you must have a means of preventing it rushing off if it’s revving fast once started!

Auto cars don’t have a clutch, but I guess they have a park position with the drive disabled.

They also have a neutral! And again will only start in neutral or park. Both functions essentially the same except park inserts a locking pin into the g/box output shaft, this supplements the handbrake, is equiv. to leaving a manual parked in gear. On mine it goes ‘P’ (park), ‘R’ (reverse), ‘N’ (neutral), ‘D’ (drive), ‘2’ (2nd), ‘1’ (1st). HTH

The Convert is a fascinating bike to ride, one of the best tricks is, when stopped at traffic lights, put in low ratio, hold on (linked) rear brake pedal and up revs to about 5000, when lights change, release footbrake, bike then howls off into the distance until speed matches the revs, (about 80), it feels like being on a bungee. G.PS this is most impressive when alongside boy racer revving up LC350 and crouched over bars while you are holding the throttle with right hand and smoking roll-up with left hand.
Duffo2013-09-06 16:57:37

They also have a neutral! And again will only start in neutral or park. Both functions essentially the same except park inserts a locking pin into the g/box output shaft, this supplements the handbrake, is equiv. to leaving a manual parked in gear. On mine it goes ‘P’ (park), ‘R’ (reverse), ‘N’ (neutral), ‘D’ (drive), ‘2’ (2nd), ‘1’ (1st). HTH  [/QUOTE]

Mine goes. R N E. + - :slight_smile:

There are doubtless variations.