Where to stay Mandello

Looking for a reasonable hotel in Mandello for next month 1 night (probably Tuesday 30th).

I am doing a business trip to Prague via Strasbourg, and then down to Siena, thought I would drop into Mandello on the way back. Will be on the new (to me) 1200 Sport all being well.
Also any ideas for a night’s stay between Siena and Mandello? Will be leaving there probably mid afternoon so most obvious would be to look for something round Florence.

Also thinking about stopping around Troyes on the way back to Calais from Mandello (using St Bernard pass and tunnel, don’t like the look of the Mont Blanc tunnel at all). Any advice here also appreciated.

Also planning to go to the Sinsheim museum on the way, and go to the German Superbikes at Hockenheim.

Finally, the Guzzi website says the museum is open Monday to Friday 3-4 pm. Does anyone know if this is correct? Anyone to confirm with?Somersetlemon2014-08-26 15:11:09

I can confirm the museum and shop are open from 3 till 4. The big red gate will be opened at 3 by the security guard and if you wanting the museum tour you will be asked to sign in. If you only want to visit the shop you don’t usually sign in. Just tell the guard shop only and he will point you in the right direction.

Thanks. Any ideas about hotels?

I may be visiting MDL about the same time - what will you be riding?

This place looks quite good : http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/b-mandello-del-lario.en-gb.html?aid=356983;label=gog235jc-city-en-it-mandelloNdelNlario-unspec-gb-tab-L%3Aen-O%3Aunk-B%3Aunk-N%3AXX-S%3Abo;sid=d9c9a63696d52236b28c946873d87053;dcid=4;ucfs=1;srfid=cda401acb59fb682c38a1a585c5af377a89835fbX2

1200 sport hopefully. Waiting for my new panniers to be delivered… Am working on iPad and couldn’t manage to copy the link. Which hotel is it?

Answered my own question…

I have booked Mamma Ciccia Albergo Diffuso.

Seemed like a no brainer. It is walking distance from the factory, Agostinis, the water and town, has free garage parking for bikes, comes highly recommended and is only £40 per night. Has to be a catch?

Anyway I shall be there pm on 30th September if anyone wants to join me for an aperitif or the factory tour.

Rgds

Jim

Hi Jim,With regard to tunnels, Mont Blanc is no problem from the Italian side. The ride in is spectacular (although it is the same for St Bernard, they are signposted T1 and T2 on the approach) and the queuing not too bad with a bit of “filtering” (AKA queue jumping) making it even shorter. Advantage is you end up in France and avoid paying the thingumy for using Swiss motorways. By the way, French tolls seem pretty reasonable to me - Italian ones are far more expensive!Have fun,Richard

Thanks, that’s useful.

One of the reasons for avoiding Mont Blanc tunnel as it seems very expensive. I thought I read it was €35 or something, whereas the St Bernard is shorter and cheaper? Maybe its cheaper for bikes, what did you pay? I was going to risk the Swiss Vignette as I will only be in there for a couple of hours.

Best regards

Jim

Mamma chichia is great, try to eat there too, the food is fab, seriously fab

We did St. Bernard from chamonix, it doesn’t involve Swiss motorways, so you don’t need the swiz sticker

Hi Jim,

The Mont Blanc tunnel is cheaper for bikes. I have just looked it up and it is Euro 28.50. I didn’t realise you could exit St Bernard’s without hitting the Swiss motorways. May try that route next time.

Richard

Thanks both. Will make a decision depending on weather and timing.

I must admit the food was nice at Mamma Ciccia. But there was not enough of it, it was expensive and there is no view.

If you dont mind cheap and cheerful food, like pasta, pizzas, chips etc. I would suggest dropping in at Camping Spiaggia in Abbadia Lariana. It is just on the outskirts of Mandello. The restaurant is right on Lake Como. So close you can feed the ducks. There is usually a smattering of motorcyclists camping there. You dont have to be camping there to eat there.

http://campingspiaggia.

Stevesteveindenmark2014-09-18 14:21:12

Hmmmmm we got more than enough to eat there , yup even the Bloke who can eat a lot
If that’s the camp site down from the town, I have to disagree, we ate there, the food was under average… And not cheerful

Jim, if you want to borrow 1200 sport panniers and top box you are welcome
Regards
Adam

Halfnut. Not that campsite. Its on the way out towards Milan.

Albergo Grigna opposite the station is good too

http://www.albergogrigna.it/uk/cat/restaurant/

Re the MG shop - there didn’t appear to be a lot too look at when I was there last week tris2014-09-19 12:22:24

[QUOTE=Zecis] Jim, if you want to borrow 1200 sport panniers and top box you are welcome
Regards
Adam[/QUOTE]
Thanks, In fact I have put Hepcos on and so far am happy with them, look OK and are OK for my trip. Only £500 or so for the set. Am in Prague now, heading south on Thursday.

Rgds

Jim

i stopped here one night , Campeggio Michelangelo, overlooks Florence. there is a huge tourist car-park 50 yds away , near enough to walk into town . but not cheap 20 euro/nt iirc

Hello Guzzisti,

You sure know The Lake of Como, but not by Airplane with Yann Artus Bertrand

http://www.laprovinciadilecco.it/storie … 127022_11/

If you want to stay in Mandello del Lario, in a Bed and Beakfast owned by Guzzistis :

http://www.bebacquabianca.it/

Have a nice stay at the Lago di Como

Ciao

Francis

Good link !