Why do you like Moto Guzzis?

I had the same feeling with my Le Mans when I rode it home. The engine was so tight it stalled every time I pulled the clutch in, and the riding position felt like mediaeval torture (even in my 20’s). I was soon addicted, though!

I remember riding my LeMans back home from when I bought it in Melton Mowbray in about 1987, It was popping and spitting back through the carbs and felt really strange.
By the time I got to Leicester I was getting used to it, decided to open it up a bit round the Thurmaston by pass. I looked down to see it was doing 110. I thought I’m gonna like this bike.

A bit like stage drivers checking their teams. Get that.

Ist Guzzi was a Mkl lmola . So proud of the Golden Eagle emblem and having a small part in so much history

Great thread and great responses.
Something that occured to me today is the anarchic nature of Guzzis; Carlo Guzzi and subsequent great minds seem to have wilfully ignored so many design conventions.
Maybe that explains the appeal/affinity?
All the best
Steve

he was half English ! I recall
probably explains it all

Fell in love with a Lario when I was 18 in 1988 because it looked so sporty and nice. I really wanted a Le Mans 1000 but that was out of my league so bought the little Lario and thrashed it to death for a couple of years. Really annoyed friends with RD350s because the Lario was a match in power and handling. I have owned 7 more Guzzis since, and still have two in the garage.

Utter shame that Guzzi only make bikes now for the errm “mature” sensible rider- absolutely nothing in the range that will appeal to a testosterone fuelled teenager and help them forge a long life love of the marque.

Guy

I’d love to see a new generation Lario with reliable 4V heads, EFI and a sporty riding position with a nod to long distance comfort. I don’t mind if the BHP is only 60 or so but the weight should be <175kg if possible. I. however, an a bit odd and don’t represent the mass market at all :laughing:

Jon

Why do I like them? Price.

Let me explain…

As an impressionable youth, I grew up on magazines telling us the 900SS and Le Mans were the finest-handling motorcycles available.

So, when I’d passed my test (on a Honda), the time came to trade up. The 500 Pantah had just been created, and was tested alongside the Morini 500, Laverda Montjuic, and Guzzi Monza. Guess which one I could afford?

Despite various hiccups, I loved it. Thrashed it round the South Circular every day, even in snow.

Then, I fell into bad company, and went to the dark side… Ducatis.

But, as Pietro DiMarino said of Dukes, “They’re like cigarettes - you can give them up for a while, but eventually, you will go back.”

So, I ventured back with a Breva 750, which became a Breva 1100, and now I want a T3…

“Smoke, smoke, smoke, that cigarette. You gotta puff it an’ puff it an’ puff it, 'til you smoke yourself to death…”

So what is it about V-Twins? The noise, the feel, the surge as the torque yanks you out of a bend. I only ever had one 4-cylinder bike. Hated it. Nasty, revvy thing. Urgh! And, a Guzzi I can service myself. Never shimmed a Ducati. Zero clearance? How d’you measure that?

Bought my first Guzzi, a new Stelvio NTX in 2014.
Absolutely loved it, but found it a little lacking on overtakes when loaded with camping gear. I don’t travel light.
Swapped it for a Triumph Explorer, couldn’t bring myself to relook at BMW after the problems I’d had with an early watercooled GS.

Wasn’t long before I was missing the Guzzi so decided to have a look for something as a second bike. Came across a 2008 1200 2v sport, well serviced but had lived outside and looked a little neglected.

More or less been through every nut and bolt, and currently waiting for all panels to come back from repainting. I went for a Gulf colour scheme.

So, why do I like them, just love riding them.

The Gulf colour scheme sounds nice…pics pleez…
Hiya BLA…been a while…nice to see you back…

[quote=“steveh” Wasn’t long before I was missing the Guzzi so decided to have a look for something as a second bike. Came across a 2008 1200 2v sport, well serviced but had lived outside and looked a little neglected.

More or less been through every nut and bolt, and currently waiting for all panels to come back from repainting. I went for a Gulf colour scheme.[/quote]

Looking forwards to seeing the 1200 when its finished Steve.

Having a browse around on the This Old Tractor site, I came across a page titled “Why ride a Moto Guzzi.”

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_why_ride_moto_guzzi.htm

A nice little read, especially the last paragraph.

Yes…I particularly like that bit in the manual…doubt they’d get away with it now mind you…mores the pity…

That reminds me of a paragraph in my Alfa’s handbook, it say’s that if the car overheats, stop and let it cool down, then drive faster! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: