Why do you like Moto Guzzis?

A post on the V7 facebook page started me off. The question was put , basically it asked - Why do you like Guzzis?
Maybe I’m kinky and like the masochistic relationship with them. Apart from that - not sure…
Anyone else got a theory?

When I bought my MkIII in 1984 I was buying the third fastest production motorcycle in the world ( the Jota and GPZ 900R were the other 2).
I kept the bike for 31 years, joined the club and now the club is a major reason for staying.
I have had 4 other Guzzi’s and still own 2 of them.

Great question; maybe one to cut and paste to Gambalunga along with a few responses?
The phrase “You don’t choose a Guzzi, it chooses you” is a good one.
I was a staunch Honda fan and looking for a CB900F in the early 1980s. A ‘stood for a few years Moto something’ came to my attention.
Still have the bike and a couple of other Guzzis.
Why? Character, ease of use, personality, reliability, the Guzzi community. And a slight feeling of elitism because I/we know how good they are and so many criticise them :wink:
To paraphrase Ricky Gervais “Better to ride a Guzzi and be criticised than not do so and criticise those that do” :bulb:
Have fun
Steve

I bought a LeMans 2 back in 1987 as I was fed up of unreliable old brit bikes and soulless Jap bikes.
The Guzzi big V twin comes with tonnes of charisma and charm, it’s like a big brit bike to ride, but doesn’t need fixing every other weekend to keep it on the road.
After a summer tour around Britanny in 88 I realized maybe the Le-Mans wasn’t the most comfortable for touring and bought the Spada in 89. Had it ever since!

I had a chain and belt let go, so moved to shafties. Had a radiator let go and realised how expensive they are, so err to air-cooled. Had straight fours, but the revi nature tends to stimilate hooliganistic riding. Had a BMW and realised how expensive gearbox and bevel boxes can be. Tried a Guzzi. Now got four.

When I was at college, I shared a room with a guy who had a poster of a Le Mans on the wall (at the time we both rode Honda 70’s). I bought a Le Mans (2) as soon as I could afford one, 1982, a black and gold. Toured all over Europe on it, including 2 up, and that persuaded me that I needed a California as well (I was single and quite well paid in those days). They disappeared over the years but I got a 1100 Sport in the 90’s - a better bike than the Le Mans, if I am being objective about it. That was sold in the early 2000’s, but I retained a soft spot for Guzzis, getting the T3 nearly 4 years ago. Come to think of it, I have only owned singles and twins, with the Guzzi layout and character remaining my favourite.

Because they built the Le Mans…
Latterly…I love my loop …and Lefty…my Lodola…
Am goin to try and aquire a cheap NF cos have got the singles bug and will not spend the money needed for a Panther…

I worked in a bike dealership in the late 80s and we once took a Spada in part exchange. I was always interested in something different from the jap stuff that we sold. I had to give it the once over before we put it in the showroom. I checked it over and sorted a flooding carb, then took it for a test ride. I was hooked from then on.

It was a good few years later I bought a V50 that a mate had under a sheet in his front garden. I paid £50 (those were the days :frowning: ) I restored it, then bought a Breva 1100 to keep it company. I guess they just get under your skin.

Unfortunately they have both gone as well as the Stelvio that followed them. I still hanker after another, one reason being that I like the club and the great people I meet. I feel as though I should own another Guzzi. I am sure one will make its way into the garage at some point. I will keep checking front gardens for bargains :slight_smile:

Traded my first Commando for one the winter following the 78TT the island was sinking with Mk1 Lemans that year, looked sooooo cool, the Norton developed a huge oil thirst, a rally was a week away, I had access to some money and credit. Hated my Le Mans the first night I picked it up but then loved it. My first ride on a race track was on that Le Mans, realised i had to get the racing thing out of me so traded it for a brand new CB900F for proddy racing. A few years later (not that many) I managed to buy another Mk1 LeMans, I still have it, collected a few more along the way. Still have a huge Quandry, Commando or Guzzi, love them both. I suppose its also being part of a great bunch of people helps, I think at one point in our Norton Branch all but a couple of members had a Guzzi as well as a Norton. I had a Injected Cali at some point, lent it to friends ( a couple of years different friends took it to the Scottish Rally) It passed through 5 different guys in the club after I’d finished with it so it appealed to most. Riding a Guzzi usually brings a big smile to my face (I say usually because sometimes they misbehave and then I’m crabbit!!) :laughing:

Was looking to upgrade from an MZ as my kids were growing up, read the 1979 Bike Magazine article about “what can you buy for £1000”, featuring a new Yam 650 or a secondhand T160 or T3. The T3 hit all the buttons, simple to work on and reliable for touring. Went to 3 Cross and they lent me a Spada for the day, totally hooked so bought a T3 they had just got in as a PX, have never looked back.

Although not into bikes as a youngster, I did do a bike trip to Germany when I was at university. A mate had a CX500 and I sat on the back for several days, so I had some V-twin experience.
When I got round to doing my bike test at the age of 44 I went for a wander round the Stafford Show, and liked the look of the Guzzi engine - it’s all on show and you can see how it works. I bought a Classic Bike magaazine with a loop on the front cover and went off looking for one, but ended up with a lovely little Monza instead (bought via the forum before I was a member). Got a loop now, also via the forum.

But, the surprise has not been so much the bikes, but the great people and places I’ve come across that would never have otherwise happened. But perhaps the bikes and the type of people that ride them are inextricably linked?

Yep Ian…I’ll drink ter that…

I had always owned BMWs I hate unreliable things !!
then life changed and I could no longer bear the sound of the BMW twin, too many memories
so I sold it, and decided to try a new motorcycle
I tried a Ducati Monstro, very excellent but with my severe lack of riding skill ( think driving miss daisy) I decided to pass on that
then I tried a Harley Davidson twas Ok but the owners made me feel uncomfortable, FFS when you get to 50 wearing jeans and a pony tail does not make you look cool ( young people think you look creepy) I dont do uniforms or branding
then I tried a Guzzi after chatting to a young lady that owned one and liked it
nipped up to Streffords to see Jim riding a Breva in with a complete car exhaust system tucked into his overalls !!
I thought if he could use it for that then its probably the bike for me
I dont like following the crowd and fitting in,
Jim gave me the keys and filled it with fuel, ten minutes up the road and I was not thinking about the bike I was enjoying the view
thats the sort of bike I like, I dont need a willy extension or a social statement on wheels
and the Guzzi sounded nice and looked different, plus its not mainstream
I rode back and paid cash for the one in his showroom
still got it 13 years later
we have had a few problems together but we get on OK and she introduces me to nice people all over Europe
she is a non threatening nice smooth and quite motorcycle with class
its like living with Sophia Loren, the sex is great, but sometimes you get your dinner thrown at you !!

I’d put up with that :slight_smile:

It’s like they say about jazz (I’m not really that much of a jazz fan, but…) - If you have to ask, you’ll never understand.

I think the round barrel motors are a work of art.

First Guzzi i bought was a 1000 Spada some 30 years ago, rode it home and thought what the bloody hell have i done, but they just get under your skin after a while and i’m still riding them :sunglasses:

Since starting out on motorcycles in 1977, I have owned 26 bikes…of which 10 were/are guzzis…and I only started on them 20 years ago. Why?? No idea…

I love the bikes & enjoy meeting the people who own them , they are a brilliant bunch

Something about them gets under your skin but that’s not a good explanation of why I like them.

Perhaps a better summary is;

1. The mechanical architecture appeals to me. Using all the visual clues, you can trace the rotation/crank orientation all the way through the clutch housing, gearbox/drive and the bevel box.
  2. The way they produce their power, in lumps rather than splashes, feels good to me. You don’t end up with big numbers but it’s real-world usable.
  3. The elegant simplicity, with obvious benefits for spannering unless it’s a clutch job :slight_smile:
  4. This may seem a bit weird but I love to be able to see an engine not only whrn looking at the bike, but also when riding it. It’s nice to look down at the rocker boxes every now and then just to make sure the engine is still there haha!

Jon