Why does the fuse blow on cold start only

Not yet done the mod on my Griso 8V, but just about every time I start it after it’s not run for a few days it blows the fuse; replace the fuse, and it fires up OK. Start it when it was running not too long ago, and it starts no problem.

1. Why does it only blow the fuse if not run for a while?

2. When it blows the fuse, why doesn’t it just blow the replacement when I try to start it again after the first fuse has blown and been replaced? Do fuses get ‘tired’?

3. I still don’t understand how the bloke who sold it to me managed to start it from cold twice without the fuse blowing(once when I went to see it, and once when I went with cash to buy it). It was deffo stone cold - I felt around the pots to be sure as I wanted to see a cold start before I bought it.GZK6NK2013-09-30 15:56:14

cold starting will take more Amps on the battery that will drop the battery voltage causing everything else to take more amps.
Also leave it standing for couple of days and check battery voltage should be around 13
if the fuse In question is say 15 Amp and during normal use its at say 14 ish the heating and chilling will make it tired and blow easier
try replacing the fuse if blade type with one of the circuit breaker type Ex smokingbiker2013-09-30 16:52:28

Do the wiring mod first. The problem will very likely disappear. The battery voltage is always that bit higher after the bike has been running and the solenoid pops in with no problem. After the bike’s been standing the battery volts drop a little, but enough to cause this problem. The standard wiring loses about 2 Volts and the solenoid is a bit iffy at about 10 Volts.

What they said.

Colder thicker oil and a slight drop in battery voltage after standing.

Can anyone tell me how the yellow wire connects to the relay base? Is it soldered on, or does it use some form of removable connector?

If soldered on, it might be best to cut the wire and connect the new (fused) lead from the battery to it with some form of in-line connector.

Standard spade terminal. The other cause of the fuse blowing is the sticky grease round the solenoid plunger. This will be worse when the engine is cold.Remove starter, remove solenoid. Clean plunger and inside of solenoid, smear with oil and reassemble.

[QUOTE=Brian UK]

Standard spade terminal. The other cause of the fuse blowing is the sticky grease round the solenoid plunger. This will be worse when the engine is cold.Remove starter, remove solenoid. Clean plunger and inside of solenoid, smear with oil and reassemble.[/QUOTE]

Done that!

The other cause could be a poor contact in the relay. I had what Ibelieve was that recently, having done the wiring mod and cleaned the solenoid.I pulled the fuse in the solenoid feed (B in most cases until the mod has been done) and operated the starter button several times to clean the contacts. It’s been fine ever since.By the way, I discovered empirically that you need a 30 Amp fuse to prevent it blowing when you have this problem.

Blade connector in relay base is most likely a clip in type, has a locking tag to hold it in so if you’re thinking of replacing it it needs replacing with same type with the tag. Else cut the wire and use an extra connector. Tagged connectors can be removed, needs like a pointed thing and push it down the side of the blade slot to depress the tag.

I use a jewellers screwdriver.

Well there’s posh. Anything like that yes.