Wibbly Metzeler

Just swapped to Metzeler Roadtec 01 on my 97 California 1100i. Seem good, but it appears to have introduced a slight vibration and a tendency to shake the bars when coming to a halt when carrying a passenger.

Looking closely I see that the front is slightly out of round no more than 1.5mm opposite the valve. The rim centring ribs are not quite clear of the wheel rim at the offending position. I have checked the rim (original Akront) and it is true. The tyre is properly seated and in contact with the rim seat all the way round.

I originally fitted the tyres in cold weather, so have redone the fitting by letting the tyre down, relubing the rim with tyre paste and reinflating.

Still wibbly!

I have fitted and centred many tubed and tubeless tyres in my time, but have never experienced this problem.

The tyre was delivered in proper packaging with no suggestion of having been hung on a nail, or similar storage abuse.

Anyone had the same problem?

Any suggestions to get it to come into proper round shape?

Needs balancing?

Nah… that is routine. I use my own balancer, but it did need around 50g this time.

Balance would not account for the shake.

The tyre is definitely out of round :confused:

I have no more ideas, except as you said, if not round … :frowning:

These two statements seem to contradict each other. The narrow bead should be just clear of the wheel rim all the way round. The usual trick is to deflate the tube and bounce the wheel up and down, as you say some lube will help the tyre to slip out and settle into its correct position as you pump the tyre up. I have been using WD40 just lately, seems to work well.

Only contradictory if the tyre is not defective.

Once again I tried deflation, cleaning the rims and lubing with the moto-cross tyre paste (which I always considered to be just soft soap - I may be wrong - see the following). No joy.

Tried once again, but used Swarfega instead of the moto-cross paste. Inflated to a scary high pressure (70 psi - normally running at 34 psi) to seat on the rim and this time it appear to have centred. Perhaps the paste was grabbing the bead and stopping it sliding on initial inflation.

All that it needs now is a test run.

PS: I checked the balance and it was within 10g of original.

OK! :slight_smile:

1 Like