Workshop essentials!

Thanks MrP.Where the gearbox meets the engine at the bell housing, I’ve a leak of gearbox oil at 6 o’clock. I’ll get a scope in there if I can to have a look around. Having read the section in the Haynes manual a couple of times, I’m suspecting the two input shaft O rings behind the input boss. Not worked on this before so it’s all new to me.

There is an oil seal there which you should change.
You will need a peg spanner. I think Gutsibits sell them but they are like a box spanner. I made my own from a 30mm socket. Here is a picture along with the boss nut that you have to remove. I sprag the boss to stop it moving. You can hold the ouput shaft with a spline or a modded uj but be aware that there is a shock absorber in the gearbox which makes it a bit spongy. Better is an old clutch plate center with a handle. I had one but I upgraded to deep splines and it was no use with them.

1 Like

Btw. This seal is the same dimensions as the output shaft but some seals are “handed” ie the rotation is in opposite directions. Worth checking you get the right ones.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort in replying with a photo. Yes they show spraging the boss in the manual. I’ll start looking around for what you suggest. Thanks again.

I didn’t know that and probably wouldn’t have thought about it with it in my hand. Many thanks again as that could be a hugely frustrating mistake to make.

1 Like

The clutch nut socket is available here

1 Like

Like the others I too have a lift , I also have a pallet which I cut in half down its length that I use beside the lift to stand on when moving the bike on and off ! It can be stowed outside when not in use !

2 Likes

If you mean the wheel mounts and side stand setup i never got that to work on any of my guzzis, including the V9.
The relationship between the wheels, sidestand and jack never jived.
The Big Breva got lifted with the foot pegs and supported under the sump (that set up is one of the standard options)
V9 is gearbox mounts and sump
For the Cali I built a frame that picked up on the engine mounts at the front and gearbox at the back.
That might fit your 850 and I saw it the other day. What i can’t remember is if I’ve butchered it to make something else.
I’ll have a look in the morning, and if it’s complete you’re welcome to it … watch this space

1 Like

I have noticed that everybody is giving good advice but nobody has mentioned that you are a member of the Moto Guzzi Club, if you are struggling to get your bike fixed don’t be afraid to ask your fellow members for a hand, it’s not worth the hernia. Down here in Sussex you only have to mention Bacon sandwiches and you get a group of helpers that would put the A team to shame.

2 Likes

Ordered! :+1:t2: Thanks for all your help. It’s much appreciated.

Fantastic! Many thanks.

Roy V7, that’s good to know, as my motorcycling pals are spread far and wide. How about Berkshire? I’ll throw in sausages! :laughing:

Sorry - frame was chopped up to lift the V9

This, in a different position picked up the front of the Cali

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for checking Tris.

Can I recommend a good head torch. Preferably LED, and ideally rechargeable rather than batteries. The strip style of LED is best for getting good general lighting where you are working. This eliminates the shadowing that can occur when your head gets between the main light source and the work area.

2 Likes

Excellent idea, thanks! I have one somewhere which I will dust off and check it holds a charge!

I have used a scaffolders walk board. The broad multi planked steel framed type. With a trolly jack you can elevate each end in turn using blocks…breeze blocks in my case to stack up underneath each end … it has worked well for me on a couple of occasions…but you will need help to stabilise things as you raise the platform

I got a table bike lift. Handy for tools and to keep spares etc. Wish I had got it 30 years ago. Even so, I will be getting a “Big blue” instead as it is smaller, lighter and easy to put away when not in use. Get decent straps to tie things down safely.

I bought a hydraulic work bench a few years ago and it was a great investment. I had borrowed one but the owner wanted it back to sit his bike on (still no work done on his bike!) To change the benches I raised my bike up nearly as far as possible and lashed it to a roof beam (I did prop the beam each end of the bike!) Then I raised the new bench under the bike and let off the ropes.

I bought mine on eBay in 2019 for £315.99 including delivery, it is a scissor lift type. This is a similar one from the same seller here but the price has now gone up to £344.99 + £89.98 delivery. It arrived with some scratches to the paint on the deck and I managed to get a partial refund of 10% after sending photos of the damage to the seller.

It has made my life a lot easier, no more lying on the ground tinkering, the bike can be at eye or hand level whatever the task.

1 Like

Ratchet straps or similar - many uses - for securing bike to work bench or ceiling or engine host!

1 Like