2015 V7ii handling issues

Hi all,
I’m just wondering if anyone has come across poor handling issues with the V7ii model?
My wife Sharon has a 2015 V7ii with @ 8500 miles on the clock and one previous keeper.
The bike came with full Hepko and Becker hard luggage and a medium sized screen.

On her first ride out she detected a slight weave in the higher cruising speed sector. The bike rides well at low speeds tracks perfectly with both hands off the bars.

Having read about the standard Guzzi rear shocks I fitted a pair of Hagon Nitro shocks that came pre set for Sharons weight.
On the next ride out the weave was still apparent but this time it started to develop into a tank slapper at the same speed.

Back on the work bench it checked all mounting bolts, ( engine and gearbox bolts torqued up @half a turn on each), wheel bearings, steering head bearings for binding and free play, swinging arm for movement.
The bike came fitted with a fairly new set of Avon Roadrider tyres and Checking the Avon website they quote 2.2bar for the front tyre, which I set this too. Last Sunday Sharon took if for another test ride. It was even worse, with the weaving coming in at a lot lower speed.

I will reset the front Tyre to the book setting of 2.5 bar.

Has anyone experienced anything like this on this model?

Kind regards,
Stuart.

Hi Bill,
Thanks for getting back to me and for your valued comments.
Your V7ii Special looked really nice.
Your comments re the Pirelli Tyres interested me too as they have received a lot of bad press. I’ve just bought a V9 Roamer with these fitted and cannot fault them at all.
You also mentioned tyre pressures. Currently, this is an area that I’m keen to explore further into on Sharon’s V7ii as lowering the front pressure of the Avon Roadrider to Avon spec made it a lot worse and brought the weave in earlier in the speed range. Can you recall what you was running your V7ii front tyre at?
Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Stuart.

Hi Bill,
That’s just the way that Sharon rides too.
I’ll reset the front to 36psi and try it again.
I couldn’t help but notice that you had some pictures of East Kirkby and the Lancaster.
Are you Lincolnshire based?
Kind regards,
Stuart.

I have a 2016 V7ii Special, bought from new. It is standard . It has Pirelli Sport Demon tyres which I run at 2.5 bar, front and back, the recommended pressure for one up riding.

It has a standard MotoGuzzi fly screen taken from my previous V7 Classic.

Like you, I have fitted Hepco & Becker hard panniers. I also have a 48 litre Givi top box.

I have not experienced any handling problems at motorway speeds. In fact the bike goes very sweetly above 3,000rpm.

My problem is with slow speed running. It is snatchy and jerky at low rpm. It is not a pleasure to ride slowly in traffic. It is even less of a pleasure negotiating 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 gradients and bends in the Lake District, or elsewhere for that matter.

Hi Jef,
Thanks for your feedback. I’m now beginning to think that it’s these Avon Roadrider Tyres that are the problem. Thinking about it further, the bike came with a TomTom Sat Nav and from the destination history we could see that this bike had done Continental touring, Germany etc. and I’m sure that this would have been done on its oe tyres as these Avons were hardly worn when Sharon got the bike and it had only got 8500miles on the clock.

Regarding the low speed snatching. Sharon tells me that her V7ii is the same at low speeds. To help with this she keeps in the lowest gear/ high rpm set up and feathers the clutch if needed.
I’ve heard that the Booster Plug from Gutsibits helps to cure this.
Kind regards,
Stuart.

Hi Bill,
East Kirkby is a lovely venue for a bike meet. It’s been a while though since we last visited but must do so again and hopefully this year. It will be great to see their Lancaster fly again. It was supposed to be this year but I doubt that now with our current situation.
Kind regards,
Stuart

Interesting bit of detective work on the prior use of Sharon’s bike ! It would be interesting to know if different makes of tyres can have such a dramatic effect on handling.

As to slow running, this is something that MotoGuzzi should have sorted out. I have mentioned it to the dealer on a couple of occasions, but no joy there.

I have heard of the Booster Plug. I am currently investigating the use of a device produced by Nightrider, but I am making slow progress.

The YouTube mentioned by Bill16STN and the use of a “BeetleMap” looks interesting. Smooth running at, and roll on from, 24 mph in 6th sounds good. It would have been better if the vid had also dealt with riding at 1500rpm in 1st.

Ah well ! Lots to think about.

I ride the Breva and Nevada small blocks. Always run Bridgestone BT45 until now.
Just converted @Tony-C on his V7ii and he’s smitten with them.

36f 42r

https://youtu.be/z3OQTU-kE2s

An old film I know but note the part about weave occurring more readily with the lighter rider. I’m probably in trouble now for assuming your wife is in this catagory … :laughing:

But I did had similar experience with my Spada, as I was never “chunky”, but that was improved with better shocks on the back and the forks stiffened with a brace. Could still do it a bit at 90 but not go totally ape and try to have me off, so it was a big difference :smiley:

Thanks Bill,
That was an interesting You Tube Video. Did you remap your V7ii to this Beetle Map!
We’re not a Facebook so just wondering how we get this mapping done?

Kind regards,
Stuart.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your feedback and the You Tube link too. This is all very interesting to me. Yes, Sharon is quite light so this could indeed be one of the issues. That said though she has done a bit of Continental touring on other bikes over the past few years and never experienced this before.
At some point this weekend I’m going to reset the front tyre pressure to 2.5bar and increase the damping slightly on the Hagon Nitro shocks. Fingers crossed that this improves it.
Kind regards,
Stuart.

Hi Mike,
I’ve just managed to watch that You Tube link. It might be old but it’s still very interesting to watch.
Thank you for sharing that with Sharon I
Kind regards
Stuart

Thanks Bill,
I’ll do that
Kind regards. Stuart.

Might be worth checking the steering head bearings, sounds like they may be a bit slack,
Phil

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the advice. I’ve just checked them. The handlebars fall under there own weight and there is no rock or freeplay.
Kind regards,
Stuart.