'Brake stuck on' warning signal

Good evening everyone. I was riding at motorway speeds today when ‘brake stuck on’ appeared in a red warning display in the bottom right corner of the dash. I pulled over when i could and checked all brakes that appeared to be fine. This happened four times intermittently during a 120 mile round trip. The brakes did not at any time appear to falter. Has anybody else had this problem? I ride a 2022 V85TT Travel.

Mark

I’ve got the same bike, it’s happened to me 3 or four times, I think the lever gets stuck temporarily, just like the gear lever on mines. Take back to the dealer and tell them ( good luck )

Thank you Gino. Ive had the gear problem as well when stopped, it wouldnt move out of 2nd. Im a bit peed off as the bike hasn’t covered many miles,7300 to be exact. I was wearing new boots and i fitted pivot pegs that swivel when the brake stuck on warning showed. Maybe i was inadvertently touching the rear brake lever? The brilliant dealership in Stowmarket have managed to fit me in for November 1st! Just to think, it may have been a safety issue! Hopefully it will be resolved but they are talking about stripping the gear box down for the sticking gear lever. We will see.

most likely it’s the linkage not the gearbox, half an hour fix, to disassemble and grease and put back on.

1 Like

Linkage or not, a piss poor showing by Moto Guzzi on a bike not yet 18 months old with 7300 on the clock. It will be interesting to see if the warranty claim has much resistance. Lesson learned. Ive been riding since 1984 and had a number of bikes over the years. Ive never had any problems apart from this and an enfield bullet trials. Back to the land of the rising sun i think…

I don’t know if you jetwash it, but I think that was a factor for my bike. after 2 years riding almost every day, including on salty roads in winter, I think a bit of lubrication on the linkage is fair enough.

having said that I have a Japanese bike that in 6 or 7 years only had one breakdown (starter solenoid).

Wow! :astonished:
I’m surprised it’s able to even detect it. Another idea may be caliper pistons sticking.

I’ve had Guzzi’s for over 40 years ( as well as Nortons) so I know there can be foibles but must admit I am a bit pissed of with the v85, brilliant bike in many respects but I worry about the will of Piaggio to honour or even look at the niggling issues. I have 15000 miles in 18 months, now it will be off the road for winter ! So next April I will speak to the dealer to see if they are minded to take my complaints seriously

Unfortunately ive decided to part ex the v85tt. My wife always says that i look after my bikes better than i do her! Ive never jet washed any bike as water always finds a way in under pressure. I pick up the Kawasaki next week. Versys 650 GT. I had a ER6N for 41,000 miles trouble free and its the same updated engine. I cant be arsed with the shit dealership attitude and the non plus regime of Moto Guzzi so thats it for me. Thanks for your comments and Gino keep making the youtube videos!

Arrivederci!

1 Like

What a shame.

I have to say, Piaggio are not alone, BMW managed to p155 me off too, with a year old bike that wouldn’t start, repeatedly. They did sort it eventually, but I’ll not buy another from that stable.

You’d think they’d have learnt from the demise of the British bike industry, but memories are short, particularly the memories of the “bright young things” who make decisions in the fast moving business world.

If you don’t learn from the mistakes of history, you are condemned to repeat them. Churchill?

1 Like

Not Churchill but
Santayana.

Possibly both.

“Variations on the repeating-history theme appear alongside debates about attribution. Irish statesman Edmund Burke is often misquoted as having said, “Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.” Spanish philosopher George Santayana is credited with the aphorism, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” while British statesman Winston Churchill wrote, “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” “.

https://liberalarts.vt.edu/magazine/2017/history-repeating.html#:~:text=Irish%20statesman%20Edmund%20Burke%20is,Churchill%20wrote%2C%20“Those%20that%20fail

And me. I said it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Er6, brilliant bike, my wife done 70,000 miles on hers with only a few problems, before she rode a Norton more when we went on holiday we always had a back up bike, now we both have Nortons and v85’s it means we’re not sure who’ll break down first.

Im with you on that! I got a great deal on a versys 650 grand tourer so im looking forward to some trouble free touring. I actually rode from Essex to Valentino Rossi’s home town on the er6n. No probs. Great engine and easy to work on. Its a shame about the v85. When it was on form, brilliant bike. But then it wasn’t.

I wouldn’t change my V85 just because it had a sticking brake pedal, to me a very minor problem, as I like working on my motorcycles I would have sorted it myself, probably just a bit of lubrication was all it needed, all bikes need some kind of basic maintenance to keep them in good shape but not all people are able or equipped to do this.
Looking at the state of drive chains on some bikes even this to much of a job for some riders.

1 Like

It wasnt just a sticking brake pedal as i previously stated if you had read the complete thread. Like Gino, the gear selection has been playing up i.e being stuck in 2nd etc. My bike, my choice.

1 Like

I also carry out all my own maintenance including valve clearances on my triumph street twin so minor maintenance isnt an issue. Reliability is.

1 Like

Fair enough I stand corrected, the Japanese motorcycles I have owned have been more reliable than the Guzzis I have had but never as engaging to ride, any problems have been minor irritations, I understand people want total reliability and Japanese bikes will give you this. Of the German motorcycles I have owned they have had problems as well, gear box bearings on one with I changed myself, think of the cost of that at BMW dealership, the last one I owned a R1200RT water cooled had various problems, lots of electrical issues, also poor gear box selection, and the drive shaft rusting solid to the splines of the rear drive box, this is because water of ingress and zero grease on assembly. I traded the RT for the V85, yes it has had a couple of issues but mostly reliable. I’m hoping it’s going to stay that way, but if not I will try to mend what ever goes wrong big or small.

2 Likes

BMW , my favourite brand….not, my wife and I did a trip from Argentina to Alaska ( and then back to Miami to ship home) our nearly new still under warranty bikes cost us 5 weeks in breakdowns. Before we left we did a trip to the Ukraine to sus the 650 singles out, we broke down in Scotland and had her bike taken back to Edinburgh , I actually got Fiona’s er6 ready to go that night but we got her bike back the next day ( I had to pay extra for the next ferry) then a few years after we broke down at the elephant rally on our bmw sidecar which had to be brought home by our insurance. In almost all cases the dealer couldn’t give a shit, i think the point being made is that if the dealer cant sort it out during warranty then what’s the point of holding onto it! Character is all very well but being stuck at the side of the road is despite what people say is not character building. We both love our V85s but they do challenge my patience! (As do most bike shops )

That is crap luck Gino from a brand that claims excellence in the touring sector. Ive been on multiple European trips and the only bikes in our group that ranges from 4 to 8 riders that have broken down are BMWS and KTMS. The BMW was elecrical and linked brake system and the KTM was a water pump. Dealerships are all out for quick coin and nothing else on the whole.

1 Like