Cali type side stand

Hi Ray and Don, I was thinking on doing the same sidestand swap but Don you said many thanks to Ray for his welding skills. What welding is required? I thought it would bolt straight on! Thanks Davyp P.S. Any Ideas where I might find this type of sidestand? I’ve tried the usual sources and will put a request in “parts wanted”

Hi
Don in the end used one off a T5 and sold the cali one rater than cut the lower fairing around the square mounting bracket I had to increase the foot size for him
there is one for sale on ebay at the moment
this is the item dear at £125 but seems the going rate http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Moto-Guzzi-California-Cali-frame-rails-side-stand-VGC-/180693381416?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a122a3128

Stiene Diense do the brackets to weld to your frame rails a lot cheaper

Hi Ray, Yes it was the T5 swap I meant. Not the Cali’. I believe the T5 series3, Spada III, LM4 & 5 and 1000GT(and possibly some others) share the same sidestand which bolts on alongside the centre stand. Don’s last picture in this thread shows his Spada with the new stand fitted. It was just when Don said thanks to you for the welding that made me pause for thought. So the only welding done was to increase the “footprint” of the stand and the rest was just a bolt on excercise? Cheers Davyp

The welding was to stop the stand going so far forward, Not sure if someone had modified it in the past, but it lent over at about 45 degrees when first fitted. Ray built up a spot of weld on the stand to stop it moving so far forward.

Thanks Don, So the welding was just to fine tune the angle of the sidestand leg fore and aft. That sounds like it’s within even my limited welding skills as I had to do something similar to the existing forward sidestand mounting plate as the bike was heeling over rather far before. So now it only remains to find one! Thanks again Davyp

Give Ed a ring at Gutsibits 01484 642 269

I just read all of the above with interest.I’m planning to replace the (almost useless) original side stand on my Spada with a Cali type side stand.I have bought second hand a Cali side stand & a lhs lower rail from a Convert (I tried to get old of a police lhs rail but couldn’t find one). My plan is to remove the footboard lugs from the Convert rail & replace my existing Spada rail with the Convert rail to allow me to bolt on the Cali stand.This sounded like a good plan until I read this thread. Looking at my bike & the new stand I am more than a little worried that the stand is going to foul the exhaust or gear lever. There appears to be a stand stop on the rear footboard mount, can this be left in place?If anyone out there has tried this or if you can offer any advice I would be very grateful.

I have a Cali type stand on my lemon 111.
It sort of fouled the origonal levers but when I fitted T3 footpegs etc was fine.

I was hoping to keep the Spada pegs. The footpegs an Mk 111 Lemon are diferent though. so maybe I’ll get away with it.That said T3 pegs etc wouldn’t be too bad, just a little further forward. The Spada is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned so I would want the pegs etc as they are. Ive seen other Spada’s with Cali stands so it must be possible. Also I have removed the fairing & leg shields from my bike so clearing these is not an issue.

Should be do able which ever way you go.
Welcome to the madhouse of Guzziness btw.

Thanks its great to be here!

If you have removed the lower fairings it will fit fine, you will need to construct some sort of stop for the stand and possibly bend it down a bit. Leaving on the convert stop sounds a good plan if id doesn’t get chopped off with the footboard brackets.

Thanks for that. I think I can cut off the Convert footboard lugs & leave the stop in place, it may look a little untidy & I’m worried that it might catch on the gear lever.I probably won’t know until I try to fit it, so I am trying to gather as much info before I get the spanners out!Has anyone tried to adapt a Cali/Convert/G5 lhs rail to fit a big side stand? If so I would be very interested to know how you got on.

erm the long stand IS standard on the G5/convert/cali bud the G5 had footrests the Convert and calis tend to have footboards by the way I fitted spada fairings to the Convert frame no probs, but didn’t like em so re sold them and went back to the screen only

Thanks. I realise that Calis/Converts have footboards. I am intending to remove the footboard lugs from a lhs Convert frame rail so I can fit a big Cali type side stand & retain the footpegs etc on my Spada.I have removed the fairing from the Spada so the stand hitting the fairing lowers won’t be a problem. I am worried about the stand fouling the exhaust & gear lever. I’m unsure if I should remove all of the Convert footboard brackets or retain the part of the rear bracket that has the stand stop. If I do the latter I’m concerned that the gear lever might hit the bracket, if I remove the brackets entirely the stand looks like it will foul both the gear lever & exhaust.

Try fitting with the original stand stop left in place, then refit your exhaust and silencers, see how it looks. Then just tweak it to how you want it.
Not too bad a job to swap over, you will need some big allen keys for the frame joining bolts.

Thanks again Don. Luckily I have the allen keys.

If you look at the pic that Min added earlier, you will see the stand has a double bend and sits down below the exhaust. That looks the best way to try and do it.I personally prefer the T5 stand, far smaller and neater.

Maybe the T5 stand is the way to go. I’m just a little concerned about the welding you had to do. I zero skill or equipment in the welding department.