Cali type side stand

If you get a G5 or Jacal lower frame rail you can fit the long legged stand and have footrests

For those with the sidestand hitting the zorst.YES they will on the convert/cali there IS a lug with a hole in it for a rubber bung fitted to the rear footboard mount. The way around it is to get a hefty bit of bar drill and bend it and pop a rubber grommet in it, I guess you would have to mount it on the footrest bolts. They do flip up with a fair force I always know when the rubber is worn or has gone missing by the loud CLANG when the sidestand flicks up.

The spada/cali/V1000G5/Convert all share the same front pipes near on, of course you can get custom ones made in stainless that will clear all protrusions…

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_g5_sp.pdf

Looking here the sidestand bump stop is fitted via a bracket to one of the sump bolts …guzzibear2011-10-28 12:17:18

Thanks for that Mr Bear. I was going to try & fit the frame rail having removed the front footboard bracket entirely & cutting the rear bracket back as far as the stand stop. I thought that there might just be enough room to clear the gear lever, the exhuast would still hit the rubber on the stand stop. Unfortunately holding the rail against the bike its really hard to see if the lever will clear the stand stop/bracket.Making a stop & attaching it to the foot peg, exhaust or similar might be the easier option. Has anyone got any pictures of anything like this?

The later G5 stand had a dog leg in it, but it is fairly easy to make a bump stop metal bar to one of the sump bolts then a right angle bend and hole to take a rubber stop, The biggest problem I had was getting bar thick enough so the stand didn’t just bend it, an angle grinder and drill and a decent vice so you can whack it to the required angle, sooo satisfying that!

Thats going to have to be a hefty piece of metal. Maybe the T5/Le Mans IV stand is less problematic?

Mine only needed a bit of weld adding because it went to far forward, I think someone had filed something away in the past, or the bracket was bent? The welding was just a blob of weld to get it to stop in the right place.

Thanks Don. Thats reassuring, I’m pretty sure that (like you) I’m going to abandon the Cali stand & use a T5/LM IV. The only problem is they appear to be as rare as rocking horse guano!

Just to confuse the issue further. I understand (!?!) that there was a Triumph T140 based side stand conversion kit for Tonti framed Guzzi’s that worked really well. Apparently no longer available. Shame.

Good luck!

Plan B always sucks !!!

Depends what plan A was!
Luxexterior2011-10-30 16:22:46

Apparently there was a company that supplied a stand conversion based on a Norton Commando side stand. These were offered on an exchange rail basis. From the pictures I’ve seen they look really good, all the advantages of the Cali stand without the ugliness.Sadly they are no longer made. Anybody have one gathering dust in a corner of their garage?

If you know someone with a Bonnie or comando, it might be worthwhile just offering one up to the old Spada mounting bracket to see how it would work. Anything would be an improvement on the original thing. That was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

I’ve seen better chocolate fire guards! I’ve held a T140 stand against the bike. Length is good & I think that the stop on the Spada lower rail will work with the stand. Down side the gap at the end of the Triumph stand (were it attaches to the bracket) is much wider & I think that the barcket itself would need to be a bit bigger to work. Swings & roundabouts.

Could you put a washer in the take up the difference?

Maybe. It would be more like washers though. The T5/LMIV option looks more appealling with each passing day. Still unsure of wether to start butchering my Cali lower rail to fit the big stand or to sell it & look out for the T5/LMIV stand.

Apparently Wessons used to offer a T140 based side stand conversion kit, new bracket & everything drilled ready to bolt on. By all accounts it worked really well. Sadly Wessons are now out of the Guzzi business. I emailed them & asked if they had any left but didn’t get a reply.If anyone out there does have one I’d be very interested in buying it.

Luxexterior you are absolutely right. A mate of mine lent me his original Wesson sidestand conversion off his LeMans II and I made up a copy for my T3. I’m just a DIY engineer and I found it fairly straightforward as all I had to make was the bracket. The result gives a very good/stable stand with a good footprint that will allow you to park safely, even on grass without fear of the bike falling over. This mod does not require a bump stop as it is integral with the bracket. I made my bracket and fitted stand before finally filing the bracket to fine tune the position of the stand when retracted. I intend to do the same with my Spada as I am so impressed with the result. The actual stand I used was from a T150 Trident but it only varies slightly from the T140, T160, and I believe even later T100 versions. Original Triumph stands are available on ebay for approx £25 or copies from many Triumph suppliers/ebay for about £22. The bracket is fairly simple to make but requires some welding, and the standard Triumph spring. I currently have a home made rearsets on my bike but the stand works well with standard setup. James
James2011-11-04 14:15:56

[QUOTE=James]Luxexterior you are absolutely right. A mate of mine lent me his original Wesson sidestand conversion off his LeMans II and I made up a copy for my T3. I’m just a DIY engineer and I found it fairly straightforward as all I had to make was the bracket. The result gives a very good/stable stand with a good footprt that will allow you to park safely even on grass without fear of the bike falling over. This mod does not require a bump stop as it is integral with the bracket. I made my bracket and fitted stand before finally filing the bracket to fine tune the position of the stand when retracted. I intend to do the same with my Spada as I am so impressed with the result. The actual stand I used was from a T150 Trident but it only varies slightly from the T140, T160, and I believe even later T100 versions. Original Triumph stands are available on ebay for approx £25 or copies from many Triumph suppliers/ebay for about £22. The bracket is fairly simple to make but requires some welding, and the standard Triumph spring. I have a home made rearset setup on my bike. James
[/QUOTE]Thanks James, thats really useful.It looks like you did a really tidy job on the stand & what a nice T3.

Hi Guys,

Bit of a thread resurrection here!. I am looking at adapting the T5 side stand conversion that Don-Spada carried out, and wanted to confirm that this is the correct side stand (part number FRA17432)…

http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=side+stand&f=d&Model=12&search=SEARCH

And I assume it just fits onto the gearbox mounting bolt, of which I would need to purchase a longer bolt?

Mucho gracias!

Darren

Doh. For some reason that link isn’t working. If you copy and paste this into your address bar, you should get it…

http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=side+stand&f=d&Model=12&search=SEARCH