Cali type side stand

A bit of trivia,
On the other side of the pond that California stand is known as a police stand.
I’m told back in the early 70s the California police demanded that stand along with a bunch of other stuff identical to what’s on Harleys. I have seen the latter with an identical bracket.
MG Cycle sell a slightly improved version of the tang that engages in the bracket. I just replaced mine, made a huge difference.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=371Kiwi_Roy2012-11-08 13:31:17

That is the chocolate tea pot original Spada / Lemans 1 or 2 side stand.What you want loooks like this

Which looks like the Spada III, Mille etc stand.

Correct, also fitted to the LeMans 4 & 5 and the later T5’s. Far better than the original T3, spada one.

Guy has done this on my green’ un, which is a Spada that looks like a V7 Sport. It does not foul the gear lever or exhaust. I have however on a couple of occasions grounded the trailing edge of the stand even tho at rest the stand isnt touchin the zorst.
Kate,x

Many thanks for the responses guys, and for clarifying which stand I need to get.

Will now attempt to hunt one down.

Cheers

Will sort out the stuff i bought the other week in it there isa long side stand and heavy duty bracket that fits in ain the original mounting point
its the same length as the calli stand

Doesn’t the frame rail have a sort of metal tang on the bottom of it onto which goes a rubber buffer to stop the stand hitting the exhaust? I discovered this as my T3 California does exactly what your stand is doing, hitting the exhaust. I purchased the rubber buffer bit, only to discover the metal tang its sits on had long broken off… and I haven’t come up with a solution since (aaprt from welding on a new tang of course)

what i did with mine is use the exhaust clamp and instead of the standard nut i used a 25mm long nut then put a standard tiny rubber door stop on the extended nut with a cap head allen screw

Ahaaa I can help with that one …maybe, the tang broke on the Vthou yrs ago. What I did was make an L shaped part , you need a fairly thick bit of steel .

Drill accordingly I fitted THAT to the exhaust - H piece fitment with the rubber bung in place …takes time and patience to get the bracket and position just right but it does stop the sidestand CLANGING into the exhaust, If you get it correct it does push the sidestand OUT far enough so the spring does NOT touch the down pipe, a slight touch makes a real weird noise and WILL ahve you checking many things out.

Guess how I know THAT one!!! I had the rocker covers off everything …

Ya beat me to it Ray mate I was still typing mateguzzibear2013-05-12 21:45:02

well a cali with footboards will have a linkage that is adjustable at the gearbox that joins to the actual lever. the bottom of that link fits to the frame with a kinda Y shaped part THAT then has a lond rod that goes to the actual heel toe gear change so cutting and threading the rod should make it able to place the ordinary gearchange. If you want a direct change then I guess it wpuld bolt thro the fitment on the frame right beside the swingarm mount.

Dunno if that helps or hinders the Haynes manual does show this linkage i believe