Clatter clang clatter clang

New 2023 V7 Stone special edition 1700 miles
From new there’s a clang when going over speed humps. Sounds a bit like a loose rear drive chain hitting the bike. 1st service asked them to check it out as sounds like something loose. Probably under the fuel tank as that’s the only place I can’t look. Did they hec!!
I’ve No manual & it’s all a bit tight under there to see how to disconnect everything.
Yesterday all hell broke loose from around the front end every time I hit a bump, clang, crash mechanical noises. I had to stop 3 times on the way home as I feared for my life.
I’ve checked everything I can. Rear end, front end, head light brackets, foot rests etc etc. Anyone come across this? I will look for a manual. Was hoping not to fart around with this bike for a good few years.

1 Like

I had a new rattle appear yesterday, found the cause today. exhaust hanger nuts had vibrated off so the exhaust was only being supported by the link pipe and the captive bolts were rattling in the hanger. put some domed nuts on i had sitting about, with spring washers and the rattle has gone.

1 Like

New bike? Back to the dealers with it. It’s under warranty, clangs and bangs aren’t included in price! I’d be asking for courtesy bike as well.

2 Likes

Wholly agree. Do thoroughly inspect for loose fastenings - if there are any, photographs are valuable. If after checking everything a responsible owner should, you’re actually scared to ride it, it’s not of merchantable quality.

If you have a rescue service, it might be worth calling them out, if your contract allows it.

Make it very clear to the dealer that in your opinion it’s not safe to ride until they prove it is, and perhaps let them know that you’ll consider taking it to an mot centre if they are uncooperative.

I suspect a fault that would lead to an mot failure on a new bike might be rather embarrassing for both the dealer and Piaggio, so they might want to consider making an effort…

Good luck!

What about front disc rotor? On mine (2021 V7 850 Special) the bobbins were loose so it rattled. Had only done about 800 miles.

1 Like

Thanks for your replys all…
Front disc bobbins……yep I did check them. Haven’t had a full floater for years and yes yes yes there’s at least a millimetre of play all round the disc. Asked my m8 he said that’s what they do. I wasn’t convinced. And I think you’re right! …will call the dealer again today… cheers & fingers crossed they can get one in quick. So I don’t miss the rest of the summer.
Will keep you posted when they’ve had a look.
It’s booked in for next Tuesday the 19th

1 Like

Haven’t had time to test ride it but sent a video of disk movement. Bike stationary, me wiggling it about (just the disk before you ask) and he’s ordered a new one
Also said he’d had another client just on the phone asking the same questions & confirmed he’s got the same problem.
Now waiting for Guzzie to confirm & supply disk replacement warranty claim for 2 bikes.
Thanks Mike H for reply & speeding up my claim process :+1:
Seems to be a possible problem on V7’s as the other bike was a different year model

They are supposed to move radially but not laterally. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeh lol mine goes up, down left a right a side to side!!

One of mine is mobile but it does not have a detrimental effect on the stopping power, as recently demonstrated over the Stelvio Pass, it is just a little noisy when going over bumps at low speed. It is probably noisy at high speeds too but I can’t hear it.

Yeh lol mine goes up, down left a right a side to side!!

Ditto mine. I didn’t actually notice, it was F2 M/C who put the sidecar on, he could hear it clanking just by pushing the bike around! :astonished:

I weighed up getting the dealer involved and have it sitting around waiting for however long it might be, worse, sitting at the dealer’s, or, just try to source one myself and get it done – and lo, it came to pass that EBC stock a front rotor for the V7 850! :astonished: And it’s their own make I believe. Which did seem a bit random at the time – what do they know that we don’t? :grin: Almost 2 years later it’s still good. :+1:

2 Likes

I had a " new " rattle a while ago … stopped several times , I looked every where , found it was the fuel cap wasn’t quite tight , unlocked it and screwed it in a bit more , much better tho still a bit loose !!

1 Like

Would buy aftermarket disc now if I had the cash & keep the new Guzzi one as a standby or replacement in the future if money scarce. As it is can’t afford it. So wait for new ome part & hope this one lasts.
Clanging is so loud over broken tarmac it’s like there’s nuts & bolts clanging about in the head light nacelle (if that was metal).

Yeh fuel cap is a bit naff! Will keep my eyes open for a rubber band or some such for when that starts rattling

This thread has been useful, I get the bag o’ bolts sound on my v7 850 stone (22 plate) when dropping off my dropped kerb. Had a feel of the disc last night and there is sizeable 4 way float so that’s another thing added to the list of characterful charm. I don’t get any noise on the move, only walking pace manoeuvres.

1 Like

there are companies that will remove the bobbins and install new ones and balance it up
I thought that was the problem with my brevas front brake, clank clank clank at low speed
Antonio sorted it on the service, its was the metal plate that holds the brake pins in rattling, lost its tension through heat build up and hard braking
new pads new pins new clip
silence

2 Likes

Rapheal,
The anti screech spring prevention ? Part of the calliper? Ok will make sure that’s in shape & correctly tensioned.

Had a rattle/clang going over bumps,Hard to tell where from and not all the time,Found the exhaust clamp not in the correct position allowing the silencer to wobble about,Coudnt see why it caused a rattle but after repositioning it no more rattles although havent put many more miles on since so we will see

EBC front disc £172.22 incl, VAT.

Bit the bullet. Bought it Saturday gone & should be here next few days :+1: