Coburn and Hughes edition LM 2

Is this one of the C+H bikes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Moto-Guzzi-850-Le-Mans-2-for-restoration-/111457283610?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19f35f2e1a

Certainly looks like it, but with the (Apple??) full fairing. I’m getting old my memory’s bloomin going.

It’s got the correct shape gold pattern on the tank, but the bikes a bit of a mess.

I have a late mk2 lemans in red, on a w plate, so W is 1 August 1980 – 31 July 1981, I am not sure when it was registered until I dig out the documents,
I suspect the C&H models were slightly later, say 1982, is that correct?

That one with the Apple faring has been for sale for a while. It was on Gumtree for 3 1/2 and when I spoke to him he wasn’t going to lower the price as he believed it was worth it. I’d have bought it for 2 1/2 then - not interested now!

The one I bought in early 82 was pre-registered on a W plate, so I reckon they must have been produced in 81. I am sure I have an old Bike magazine test of the black and gold somewhere - I’ll try to dig it out, as that could put a date to them.

The one I bought in early 82 was pre-registered on a W plate, so I reckon they must have been produced in 81. I am sure I have an old Bike magazine test of the black and gold somewhere - I’ll try to dig it out, as that could put a date to them.[/QUOTE]

Ah that is interesting,

having looked at my registration document mine was registered on the 30th march 1981, mine is red, but it’s certainly not the original paint!

really,

I know guzzi’s can look rough, but I would have thought 2 1/2 was far to much for something that needed so much work, that one looks like a money pit!

my own was bought a few months ago, in very good condition on the road and needing nothing spent, for less than the figure he originaly wanted

ianboydsnr2014-09-12 09:29:47

In that case sir, you got a fine looking bargain.Enjoy.

Indeed; it’s easy to be seduced by the initial low price of a project vs the cost of a sorted bike but the cost to make a 2 grand project into a working bike worth, say,4 grand is likely to be more than the 2 grand saved! BondEquipe2014-09-12 09:57:58

I Think that the Mk2 i just advertised at £3750 was to cheap as it sold within a few hours and on the first day i had a total of ten definate I want it please [QUOTE=ianboydsnr] [QUOTE=BondEquipe] That one with the Apple faring has been for sale for a while. It was on Gumtree for 3 1/2 and when I spoke to him he wasn’t going to lower the price as he believed it was worth it. I’d have bought it for 2 1/2 then - not interested now![/QUOTE]

really,

I know guzzi’s can look rough, but I would have thought 2 1/2 was far to much for something that needed so much work, that one looks like a money pit!

my own was bought a few months ago, in very good condition on the road and needing nothing spent, for less than the figure he originaly wanted

[/QUOTE]

According to the tax disc still on it, expired March 2002, so has not been ridden for 12 - 13 years...

Prices are very silly. I bought my Le Mans 2, had been Le Mans 1-ised, but running well, tax, MOT, 6 years ago for £1000. Last three years all this stuff has shot up. New Guzzis causing interest in the old stuff? Same thing happened to bevel Ducati values around the time the 916 came out, then especially after the MH900 and those Sport classics were announced.

Karen liked the look of one of the new V7s at the V Twin that Corsa had there, she asked how much and was told £6999. I said you could get a Le Mans for that and was laughed down as they thought a Le Mans was £10k. I walked away from an argument. A second hand bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would not buy one from a dealer.

C&H LMII TUR699W was tested in The Biker magazine dated Nov. 81, according to the DVLA site its still taxed and was originally registered March '81

and i agree with the tag line of the aticle, although not with Julian Ryders opinion that they look better in red

Thanks Neil, that’s confirmed the air suspension as an update.

Cheers.

Is that front air suspension, like this?

Because my v reg project has the air valves, but I think my w reg has them as well, though I guess they could have been added!ianboydsnr2014-09-13 21:05:12

[QUOTE=ianboydsnr] I have a late mk2 lemans in red, on a w plate, so W is 1 August 1980 – 31 July 1981, I am not sure when it was registered until I dig out the documents,
I suspect the C&H models were slightly later, say 1982, is that correct?
[/QUOTE]

Actually I just checked the registration document and it was 30 march 1981 registered, I wonder if mine is a re painted C&H model,

I have a test report of a C&H coloured one registered TUR699W, registered 16 march 1981, listed at £2999
According to the DVLA it’s still on the road, anyone own it?ianboydsnr2014-09-13 21:36:38

The Bike test was in October 81, a W reg bike, up against a 900SS and R100CS on a trip to the Stella Alpina. Well rated as a sports tourer. The article noted some electrical mods, nikasil coated bores and the air assisted forks as upgrades.

Thanks Fen, I wonder if there’s any chance of a clearer, (readable) pic or copy of that story, pretty please??

Ian, thanks for the pics, I think at that time a number of manufacturers were playing with air assist, including accessory companies. ISTR being able to buy kits to converts forks, by drilling the caps and inserting schraeder type valves in, all very very low pressure stuff.

BTW would you mind my asking what the threaded adjuster device is on the red Guzzi tank is, it’s in an adjacent photo in that album.
Looks like it’s holding something up?
Cheers

Oh that threaded adjuster, it’s a ultra rare Lemans tank brace, that stops the tank flexing once over 140mph

Actually it’s some kind of tank rack fitted to my convert, see the pictures in the general forum in convert corner!