Electrex Reg Rec

So it’s not charging. Did all the usual tests to rotor and alternator. Had a blinding flash of inspiration and flashed ( battery +ive to DF ) . Charging ! Excellent.
Switched it off. Back on , no chargee. Flashed again. Charging. There is no power coming to the DF which I believe is how it flashes every time you start the bike.
In the meantime I am putting a feed to the DF with a button to flash the alternator every time. But it is not THE solution.
Over to you…

peas and glove

theone&onlymin
x

Quick check of charge warning lamp bulb, only ever had this once on my V1000 it was the charge warning bulb new one all good… just a complete guess tho’

If this is the RR45 I found on mine it won’t light the charge warning lamp, but should start it up. It needs +12V on here (green wire?) so that it turns on, BUT that means it’s sending 4 Amps from battery to rotor even before engine is running. Never managed to sort out the dash lamp not lighting so went back to the original reg & rectifier.

It is the RR45 and had given no bother until I needed it to be reliable. The warning light is not part of the system like the Bosch and this one puts out a faint glimmer when lit. LED upgrade is in the pipeline. It seems like no power is getting to the DF and you have until Boxing Day to come up with solutions. Or the switch is going in so it is.
The G5 still runs the Bosch system this is a wee project that I am riding week on week off to fix all of its problems.

peas and glove

theone&onlymin
x

Sounds like a brush problem to me.

You have connected the earth and live directly to the battery terminals, haven’t you…

Sounds silly but worth checking the rear brush holder. My S3 wasn’t charging earlier this year, stumped me for a month or two, started back at basics, took off stator, rear brush completely outta place as brush holder broken. Glued it back, brush back in place, charged again…

Just to clarify: is this a generic charging problem or specific to fitting the Electrex Reg/Rec?
sorry if I’m missing the obvious but I’m considering using one on the T3
All the best
Steve

Steve, my Electrex rec/reg has worked perfectly on my T3 Cali fine for years, but I have no charge light but that doesn’t bother me. The company who make them have crap after sales attitude, beware…

If I remember rightly the RR45 uses a regulator chip which has short-circuit protection on the field output terminal, it’s just possible that it’s seeing the rotor winding as a short for some reason so won’t give it any current (won’t start up), when you ‘flash’ it you force the rotor Volts high, then it works. If this is the case, chip could be fcuk’ed… or your rotor winding is unusually low resistance for some reason, shorted turns? Short between brushes?

It came on a bike I bought and was charging ok. First stop is checking power to the RR and from I guess. Swapped alternators which made no difference so the brushes should be eliminated. Haven’t changed the rotor. BoxingDay sees me swapping rotor and alternator from my charging G5 and having a wee look around. Not much to the Electrex so should be easy enough to see anything obvious. Unless it is in the box itself.
Keep the good ideas coming !

theone&onlymin
x

Check the resistance of the rotor across the slip rings, you should get 3.5 ohms If dead it will be open circuit

If it charges by manually flashing current through the rotor, then the rotor windings should be fine. With everything in place (ie. wiring as it should be), turn on the ignition and check for volts across the two alternator brushes.If you have nothing there, then you have to trace the feed from the regulator back to find where the break is. If you find there are no volts on the wire out of the regulator, then the unit is faulty.

Good point, the RR45 should give you 12V across the brushes soon as you turn it on. You then need to see if that 12V also appears across the actual slip rings.

Cheers Adam, I’ll have a look at what is available when I get to the electrical bit of the refurb.
All the best
Steve

Min,
Have you got access to a copy of Guzziology?
There’s a lovely breakdown of what readings are expected component by component. I keep a copy of the page in my tankbag when I go away on the bike.
If not PM and I’ll sort something out,
All the best
Steve

Yes I have all the info from various sources thanks. Will get back to y’all on 26th after going though it. I have 3.5 ish across the rings with the brushes isolated. No volts to the DF is my first stop

Cheers

theone&onlymin
x

If that’s 3.5 Ohms, okey-dokey then

As soon as ignition is on full battery power should be at the brush gear on the rotor as the bike starts then the voltage on the brushes gets varied according to the speed of the engine and the load on it

If there is a charge warning light in the circuit, then you won’t get 12 volts across the brush terminals, as there will be a voltage drop across the light bulb.