Engine oil filler and sump extension.

I bought myself a Classic Cali for my 77th birthday in April and am due to do a trip to Galtur (Austria) next week. I have not yet done much mileage as weather here in Bavaria has not been too good. On checking the oil level I found no need to top up (unlike the T3 I had more than 40 years ago) However I assume that some top ups will be necessary in the mountains or in very hot weather. In years gone by I had fitted a tube with longer dip stick making top ups easier, are these still available? I also had a sump extension increasing oil capacity on my last SP111. Do members still use this? As the Guzzi engine does not appear to have changed much but oils have developed I’d be interested in tips and advice please.

what’s the question?

sump extensions still a thing, and their usage has nothing to do with quality (or quantity) of oil

a longer dipstick is reqd when sump extension fitted (same volume of oil, now further away)

topping up? necessary if your Guzzi uses oil - one of mine did, whatever I tried or thought about it. the only right thing to do is change the oil, fill with correct quantity and mark your own dipstick - that way you know how much is in there.

does this help? or did I miss the question?

1 Like

Thanks a lot. When l had the sump extension years ago i thought that more oil was the solution and kept the level as before. If the oil is further away I’d have expected it to lead to oil starvation. What would be the point of the extension without more oil ?

1 Like

It keeps the oil away from the crankshaft and so reduces drag, and also it keeps the oil further out in the breeze to aid cooling the oil.

2 Likes

I thought oil on the crankshaft would help lubrication and engine cooling, the idea of a dry crankshaft sounds rather frightening!!! I’ll probably buy one before servicing it.
The extension tube for the dip stick made filling oil easier, is this still available?
I used to live in Sevenoaks and bought most of my spares from Vince (Sorry I forgot his surname) and later from Motomecca, then The Ogri Cafe, later Wessons.
I now live in Bavaria since 2007 and have not yet found a source of cheap spares, anything I buy from England has to be sent to my son to avoid Brexit charges,

1 Like

thd tall dipstick (and tube) of which you speak was fitted to the 1000SP (Spada) and may be available from breakers or purveyors of used parts.

2 Likes

I think you misunderstand - crankshaft’s and big end bearings are fed by oil under pressure from the pump, through internal channels. The crankshaft does not need to dip into the oil in the sump. In fact doing so merely adds resistance! Lots of frothing would also result which is not good either.

1 Like

The one I had for my Spada had air channels through the centre, 3 I think, don’t think can get these any more tho.

In hindsight, the air channels also made quite a good windage plate - was before I knew such things existed. :grinning:

My one has air channels cast through it too. I bought a longer dipstick (original dipstick length + depth of sump extension x 1.41 [as it goes in at an angle of 45 deg]) but I always measure the volume of oil I put back in the bike at an oil change, and only use the dipstick to check if it needs a top up. I think the 1000S has a sump extension as standard, maybe the dipstick on that would suit?

My sump extension has 4 galleries divided by the sump screws that joined into one behind the screws then splits into two around the sides to avoid the air filter and crankshaft and then back to one at the back. I suspect Mike yours was similar

IMG_0585

IMG_0587

3 Likes

Thanks, I found it very good on my previous bikes. I shall have to look out on Ebay. In the meantime if anyone has one spare, I’d be pleased to buy it

Do you know about HMB-moto in Rottenbach. Not sure if you think its cheap but I would recommend them.

Thanks, I have only had the Cali two months so have not really found any will definitely have a look.

Could well have been the kiddie, but was too long ago to remember details. :grinning:

I fitted mine to my SPIII but I don’t remember the air channels in it, I think it was more like a big spacer but that was about 30 years ago.

I have just returned fron a week in Galtur on my Cali. No problems except that it seems a hell of a strech to kick back the side stand, I am not short and wondered how people do it?

The air duct type are unusual, the other two types are just a plain spacer as your one and ones with an external oil filter.

Thanks. Are they still available?

I would think not, and from Baldrick’s reaction to my sump extension, he was physically drooling and added I was very lucky to still have it after he rebuilt my engine a few years ago! I think he had secret longings after it! But you never know there may be one out there, I have never seen another one the same, although Mike H remembers having one.

There are a couple on the internet

This is a plain one click here (USA)
Gutsibits have a plain one click here

Thanks, after seeing the cost I think I’ll have to manage without.

Re the sidestand, at 5’ 7" tall I have to retract the thing then get on the bike and ride off👍
(Cali ev)

1 Like