Have you got one of these in your tank?

\

They were standard fitment to most models with the in-tank fuel pumps up to about 2008. (Not sure of the exact date though).
The problem is that they have been less than reliable, usually bursting apart at the seam, and you know the law which governs when this will happen.
I would strongly suggest that if you still have the original filter you take steps to replace it at a time convenient to you, rather than when you’ve just filled up, and are now in the middle of nowhere. Remember the engine will stop dead if it fails.

The correct replacement filters are-
Knecht/Mahle KL145 or UFI 31 760 00, both of which are all metal construction.
I think most Guzzi dealers are now stocking these later types, but if you are offered one of the half plastic ones, do not buy it.

If you do this yourself, you will also need a couple of pipe clips to fit an 11mm OD pipe. I believe this type is the best on small pipes.

They come in various sizes, 10 - 12 mm would be best, unless you are fitting a new pipe too, in which case you have to get them to fit that.Brian UK2010-07-29 16:26:16

The swollen filter syndrome seems to affect Nevadas only. And maybe some bigblocks, but who cares about them?

Brevas and V7Cs (AFAK) do have the full metal bodied filter as OEM.
The Mahle KL 145 are common on BMWs, some Ducatis and Triumphs, and are easily accessable.

Well the filters do not just swell up, they actually burst apart. They would not be fitted to the V7C as that was only produced after the filter was changed. I have heard of problems with early Breva 750s.

I prefer to err on the side of checking rather than assuming there will not be a problem and then having the bike suddenly stop in the middle lane of the M25 in rush hour. (Or any busy autoroute of your choice).

Guess you need to thange the filter at a certain point anyway. After 50000 kms my looked like this:

This filter was fitted to the early 1100 breva and some early norge and can fail with out warning my 1100 breva had covered less than 12000 miles when it went just as i prepared to over take a car ,the engine just dies when the filter splits and all pressure is lost in the fuel system. This is a potential lethal fault which gives the rider no warning, if in any doubt about the type of fuel filter in your tank check it or have it checked by your dealer as a matter of urgency
regards Keith Nock

There are many more compatible replacement filters. Fram G2 and Wix 33032 (check those numbers) come to mind.There’s a long list in the Database section of this smallblock group;http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MG_750/I hope Guzzi stopped with the half plastic filters in 2008, but …It wouldn’t be such an issue but changing the filter is such a pain.

Made much worse when it fails just after you’ve filled up.
With an empty tank it’s not too bad once you have mastered that “quick release” fuel coupling.

hi, i was looking for posts on another subject (electrics) but found this post and now i’m worried! my breva 750 was registered in april 2008 - do i need to get the filter checked or was it just earlier 750’s? thanks to anyone who can save me taking it back to the workshop - i only just got it back after 2 weeks and have only had the bike 8 weeks!!

I have tried to find out the dates during which these were fitted, but failed miserably in that search. It’s not a difficult thing to check in a workshop when the tank is nearly empty. It’s a devil of a job to replace on the roadside when the tank is nigh on full though.

I had a chat to Steve Clent about this they have followed up they sent a dealer questionairre out about all sorts and have found that:-

1. Yes it WAS a problem but ALL dealer serviced bikes had the offending filter removed and replaced with upgraded one.

2. Guzzi dealerships have NOT used older one for some YEARS

3. Some of the on road failures had been replaced with the inferior part by either non franchised dealerships OR owner serviced bikes.

Piaggio HAVE taken this seriously and have followed up remarks, it DOES show they are working away in the background.

I hope this helps alleviate some worries out there. Owners of Older bikes who’s bikes are well out of warranty and have been owner serviced and use this type of filter should check this as a matter of urgency

[QUOTE=Brian UK]

Â
They were standard fitment to most models with the in-tank fuel pumps up to about 2008. (Not sure of the exact date though).
The problem is that they have been less than reliable, usually bursting apart at the seam, and you know the law which governs when this will happen.
I would strongly suggest that if you still have the original filter you take steps to replace it at a time convenient to you, rather than when you’ve just filled up, and are now in the middle of nowhere. Remember the engine will stop dead if it fails.
Â
The correct replacement filters are-
Knecht/Mahle KL145Â or UFI 31 760 00, both of which are all metal construction.
I think most Guzzi dealers are now stocking these later types, but if you are offered one of the half plastic ones, do not buy it.
Â
If you do this yourself, you will also need a couple of pipe clips to fit an 11mm OD pipe. I believe this type is the best on small pipes.
Â

Â
They come in various sizes, 10 - 12 mm would be best, unless you are fitting a new pipe too, in which case you have to get them to fit that.[/QUOTE]

Is this in the tank,or under the tank.
Sorry to seem a bit thick,but if its in the tank how do you get it out ???

Hi all, I am having a similar problem with my 2005 Cali EV. I have noticed a rattle from my bike whilst riding and I believe it is coming from the fuel tank. This post has now frightened me into getting filter changed. Has anybody had similar problems and how to you remove the pump to inspect.

Sorry Krispy, I’m a smallblock guy, and that’s all I know. For the smallblock, there are a couple of different versions of the repair, in the Links and Repair tab for this yahoo group; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MG_750/Getting into the tank and doing the repair isn’t the easiest. It’s best to study the method first, and make sure you have all the parts, clamps, tools, etc. And then go for it.The tank disconnect can also be tricky. Don’t give up, and don’t use force either.Joe

its a two man job to get the tank off , one to lift the tank(best with low fuel level) one to disconnect the pipes and electrical connections turn the tank so that you can get at the plate bolted to the inside remove the bolts and gently move the plate with pump & filter assembly untill you get the correct angle to remove it . It can be awkward (uderstatement or what?) good luck and much patience

If there’s one of those in my tank, it aint getting changed!!!

The plastic Stelvio tank fitted at the works was obviously bolted on by some over enthusiastic nut runner.
It was tightened until the captive nuts were forced round and guess- yes, you can’t unbolt it!
Moto Guzzi have been thinking about it for 4 weeks now and still wont let the dealer saw the old one off.
Their customer service and guarantee stink.

Bet mine isn’t the only one! Check your tank bolts boys!

Air tools can be a pain if used incorrectly.

These bolts hold the bodywork to the tank, can you picture some poor sod who needs his tank off and out of guarantee. Not that MG want to know about it anyway.
Talking to the dealer mechanics, the lot has to be butchered to get it off and I would agree with their views.
Megga expensive!

Just checked out my o7 navada. Yes it was almost fit to burst.MARIUS2011-03-16 19:12:42

Right then you lot - who would like to do me a ‘replace-the-bloody-filter’ article (with some pics) for Gambalunga - please?Roger ‘my pump is under the side panel’ Shufflebottom

Trouble is, Roger, that the proceedure is different for many models. The Cali’s are the most difficult type to get the pump/filter unit out, I know as I helped to do one in a car park in France last summer where the pipe had come adrift in the tank.