Have you got one of these in your tank?

Ok-ok - I have been thinking about having a go at this since I did my Breva 1100. And yes, I did take some pictures as I was doing it.
This should also cover the 1200 Sport and Norge overall as well as the Stelvio as far as the innards are concerned. I haven’t been inside my Breva 750 - yet.djpockets2012-05-10 18:32:58

If you are taking the tank off to do the filter on a Breva 1100, (done last year, no pics unfortunately), worth checking the breather and filler cap drain pipes, really poor design, 6mm pipe narrows down to 3mm hose fitting which blocks easily, causing water to flow into tank and restricts tank breather, you will know about it if you wind the throttle open and the motor dies. Water in the tank also generates gunge on the pump filter. Well worth running a 5mm drill up the fittings to open them out.G.

I am just a new member. I have got a V7 Classic which was registered new on 11th June 2008. Can you tell me if it will have one of the half metal/half plastic filters in the petrol tank? kind regards Luigi

This is rediculous, why can’t it be all-metal? If this kind of stuff happened to car owners there’d be rioting in the streets

Why ask that here Mike, ask Piaggio.

Guzzi/Piaggio UK didn’t answer my query on when they did start fitting the all metal ones, but I think it was sometime in 2008, sorry I can’t answer your question more accurately, the only way to be certain is to have a look I’m afraid Luigi.

Thanks for the answer Brian. I’ll have to dismantle the tank and check, since we take the bike to Spain with us in the winter and I don’t want to be caught out!!I’ve just replaced the oil seal in front of the crank case, but other than that the bike’s first class.

Gordon Bennett just clocked the article in Gumbalungama, all that gubbins in the tank

Surely it’s not beyond the bounds of human ingenuity to get it all in one unit and get rid of those stupid tubes and hoses (?)

How the Hell do you get the - Not Very Quick Release to - RELEASE? on a Cali EV.

Take a look at my article in the Gambalunga. Heed the warning and don’t use too much force. The push together and then wiggle off is the important bit. A bit of looobrication helps no end for future ‘offs’ once you have it apart.
I think the problem with these connections lies with the 'o’ring having too good a grip on a dry nozzle.

“In-tank fuel filter Replacement” article in last Gambalunga – correction.

It was drawn to my attention at the V-Twin that I gave an incorrect number for the Baldwin filter. The number stated in the article (833) is a filter with ¼” (6mm) end stubs.

The correct Baldwin filter to use is BF840. This has the required 5/16” (8mm) end stubs. Unfortunately the error crept into the article because I had initially made that same mistake myself. Big apology for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone – one at least that I know of!

This weekend I had the tank off the 750 Breva. I had a problem with water not draining from around the filler. This turned out to be the metal union that screws into the bottom of the tank being blocked. I cleaned it out by running a drill through it and then added a full 90 degree chamfer to the top edge to try to improve the flow. I was also pleased to see that the fuel filter has a ‘full metal jacket’.djpockets2012-09-03 11:08:20

I have so far failed. i run the tank nearly empty and twist it round to balance where the seat was.
Not in windy conditions,
ie, never eat a curry before working on your bike.

some one showed me how to do it
but I could never repeat the act
I use a trestle next to the bike with a foam cover on it

Hi allI have a V7 Classic (July 2008) I have just removed the petrol tank to check the filter. The filter is all metal and the make is MAHLE and the Part No.is KL145 The date on the filter is 07/03/08. The tank was quite easy to take off. On the V7 all you have is an overflow pipe, electrical connection and the famous petrol push-pull connection. Hope this information helps.kind regards Luigip.s. disappointed that there was no Moto Guzzi GB club at the BMF rally at Peterborough.

can you check the filter without removing the tank ?
ie can you use a torch to see inside or a dentists mirror?
also why do you need the new clips are the old ones those ones where you use a special tool
I have one someplace a quick release tool purchased for repairing a french car

this ‘o’ ring on my 750 Breva needs replacing as it is stretched, any idea of the diameter of it ? and how do you get the petrol hose to pass over the nozzle? it is a tight fit.

Hello Rapheal, you might be able to see into the tank enough with a torch to see if the filter is all metal or not but I haven’t tried this myself.

Hello Northwest, getting the fuel hose on and off the nozzle relies on gently applied pressure and a wiggle-on, wiggle-off action. Either way, it is greatly helped with some lubrication (as the actress said to the bishop).

Unfortunately the o’ring is not listed as a separate part in the guzzi part manuals. I do not know the size off hand without taking my tank off. Can anyone else can help?
If not, I will get back here as soon as I can.

Thanks for reply, I went past ‘Simply Bearing’ (see their website) in Leigh on Monday and popped into their rather large new huge warehouse with my old ‘o’ ring and picked up a pack of ten 1.5mm 6mm bore nitrile O rings, well at 2 for £2.50 or ten for £4.70p there was no point in just going for the 2 pack, I might renew the petrol hose when I refit the tank etc, I will be going past a fuel hose stockist tomorrow and I will check out their Gates Fuel Hose prices,Cheers for advice re refitting the hose.

well I managed to change the one in my 2003 breva
the fuel filter was all metal and dated 2002
but for peace of mind its worth doing

Worth doing after 10 years anyway.