MCN Stelvio Road Test

The journos have been testing the Stelvio in Spain. The report is this week’s comic, but can be seen on their website too. They seem to like tit

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/moto-guzzi/stelvio/2024/

1 Like

You know what MCN stands for…“More Crap than News”

This is no different. The usual MCN offering of lots of words, little information…

1 Like

Not a subscriber then :rofl:

Only a 4* review; obviously Piaggio doesn’t place enough advertising in MCN to secure 5* :joy:

Never a truer word, Bob…money talks, and the more of it there is, the louder the conversation.

2 Likes

I think the review was pretty much spot on. There are a lot of bikes out there fighting for the adventure bike segment and other manufacturers have been at it for longer. so might be more polished. As well as my Guzzi, I have a 950 Mutistrada, which is similar HP and hard to fault. £14,700 is a lot of money. The advantage over the others for me is shaft drive. (which MCN didn’t mention) To get that you have to go to a big GS at best part of 20K in basic form. I will be taking a test ride later in the year.

The purpose of any journal in to gain income and that income is derived from selling advertising space. It must surely follow that the articles created by journalists must create an illusion in support of the paid for adverts. To accuse MCN and all the rest of the motorcycle press of bias in favour of their sponsors / advertisers is to complain that a clown is making you laugh. It is what they do. Much like the rest of the press and all other media. YouTube reviewers are merely the latest iteration. To some degree the YouTubers are even worse as their opinions are often direct copys of the manufacturers publicity blurb. Even Moto Guzzi have adopted mudguards from the style catologue that requires such items to be ineffective teeny weeny shy things that are ashamed of their own existence. Well that’s my rant for the day. Love and peace to all.

1 Like

No one’s accusing MCN of anything :wink: … just having a laugh at their expense … you’ve only got to scan the social media comments about the publication to see that it’s not held in very high regard these days.

Bike magazine reviewed the GS 1300 recently and gave it a not unexpected glowing review despite the test bike giving up the ghost with less than 800 miles on the clock. They were obviously happy to give BMW the benefit of the doubt and be less than investigative as to the cause. Recent relay calls have suggested that a bit more prodding of BMW might have been in order. The subsequent month’s readers letters weren’t so complimentary of the tone of the review either!

Most magazines therefore these days should be regarded as a source of entertainment rather than authorititive information (Gambalunga of course being the exception :wink:).

1 Like

every time MCN do a ‘new bikes for this year’ or ‘pcp deals special’ etc, they have 4 or 5 bikes from each big manufacturer in each segment like adv, tourers, retros … but not guzzis. It’s bizarre how they repeatedly ignore them.

1 Like

i think some triumph tigers have shaft drive?

1 Like

You are correct. I forgot about the 1200 Tiger. Starting price £17,295. Makes the Stevio look like a bargain :rofl:

Ah yes, the 1200 Tiger. Makes a GS look like a roller skate and a Stelvio like a flip-flop.

The very antithesis of “wieldy” and “nimble”.

2 Likes

A real world review on the Stelvio from Mark Pulling.

https://youtu.be/T8YNnoazX0M?si=D4Iknqv-5u13k7hB