Pencil in Combustion Chamber!

In the process of checking tdc on my newly acquired T3, I have managed to drop a 2” piece of pencil down the spark plug hole (doh!)

Other than removing the cylinder head (which is probably a bit beyond my ability - mind you, it’s never stopped me before), does anyone have any suggestions?

Ones that currently spring to mind are:
Squirt fuel into the spark plug hole and burn the pencil.
Start the motor with the spark plug out on the offending cylinder (I don’t like the idea of bent valves with this one!)
Just fire it up and see what happens :grimacing: (I tend not to be lucky like that).
Get out the manual and remove the head (you know it makes sense).

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

squirt fuel down the spark plug hole. what could possibly go wrong?

or: Flexible Grabber Long Reach Strong Claw Pick-Up Tool Confined Areas 600mm | eBay

you’ll also need a healthy dose of good luck and a bottle of your favourite brew should you succeed.

What could possibly go wrong? rofl (I have a history ….)

The grabber is a natty gizmo. I suspect that, even if I got hold of the pencil, I would struggle to get it back out through the spark plug hole.

Next time I’ll use a metal rod, not a pencil!

A shufti with a borescope initially would at least let you see where its lodged.
I’ve got one of these that works reasonably Clarke CIC2410 LCD Inspection Camera with 9mm Lens - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
They come with a hook, but maybe some blu tac would do the job

Re finding TDC I tend to use a good light and look down the 'ole for the pistonrising

1 Like

Find a bit of soft bore hose that just fits thru spark plug hole and tape it to the hoover/dyson, it might hold the pencil the wrong way, or you get lucky and it grips an end !

4 Likes

THAT sounds like a plan :+1:

I’ve allocated the whole day to sorting this. I’ll let you know the outcome ….

1 Like

The saga continues: I tried coaxing, prodding and hoovering the offending object to no avail. So I decided to man-up and remove the head :grimacing:

Surprisingly, everything was going quite smoothly until I got to the 6 bolts holding the head together. The top one has a cap with an Allen key fitting. Regretably, mine is quite rounded and won’t budge.

In these circumstances, when I find myself reaching for the Mole grips and big hammer, I have learned from bitter experience to STOP and put the kettle on.

YouTube suggests heat, cold chisels and other WMDs. I am a bit wary of applying heat as I don’t want to damage the head.

Does anyone have any sage words of advice when faced with this issue?

Also, favourite sources of good quality parts? I am aware of Gutsibits, but few others (as I am relatively new to returning to the fold). Am going to need a few gaskets, etc, and a new bolt cover after I’ve removed this one!

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

Can you weld a best fit allen key into the cap head/bolt? Weld the long end in or you’ll not turn it very far.

Sadly, welding is not a weapon in my armoury!

Were all the others loose when you tried to undo the problem bolt?

If so tighten them all back up and try again. Sometimes if you have your lucky pants on, you’ll get enough to get things moving.

The other non nuclear option is to batter a suitable torx bit in the allen head

Overall all i don’t envy you trying to sort this out

Good luck!!

1 Like

Yes, the other 5 presented no problems.

I see your point but, according to my Haynes manual, the hex is just a cover, so I don’t think it does anything to secure the head.

I’m having dark thoughts about reaching for the impact driver. I don’t think I have a suitable ‘bit’ for it and don’t really want to cause more damage by guessing what might work at this stage.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, that’s just a plug to keep the oil inside. The actual nut is below. I think the nut needs a long hexagon driver to undo it.

Longer pencil next time??

Haha - sadly, pencil snapped in half!

Try an ever so slightly oversize key and tap it in hard (hopefully you have metric and english keys) or a torx thats a good fit :+1:

2 Likes

Cover everything up with rags and then Dremel a slot in the head.

Then either use a broad flat screwdriver, or a tap the edge with a blunt chisel to unscrew it??

2 Likes

You’re bang on up to date.
Giving the civer a gentle tap around the perimeter and then inserting the Allen key and giving it a couple of sheep taps may help break the seal.
Next step.
You make a spacer strip from thin
metal. A drinks can will do of you get stuck. Put this over the end of the Allen key a tap it home. There’s a good chance that this will give sufficient purchase.
At the risk of grandmother and eggs……when you have the key firmly in place lean as hard as possible over the key at 90 degrees.

try using a TORX bit or the other sort of splined bit and hammer it into the mullered Allen bolt hole and loosen it that way.

bit brutal, but does work most times …

2 Likes

Could you clarify that please, Guzzibrat?

I’m in the throes of buying a suitable Dremel bit at the moment …

1 Like

A torx bit is likely to be putting in an appearance - thanks.

1 Like

This too is looking like a distinct possibility :+1: