T3 starter relay not working

Having a problem with the relay on the t3 at the moment. A sharp tap on it helps but its a nuisance. I have opened and cleaned it but no joy. Should I replace it or can I wire it differently? Jump starting the bike helps. Battery looks good but wont always fire up on it. Thanks

Do you mean the start relay under the seat or the start solenoid on top of the starter motor?

For 30A start relay they are easily replaced see the tech thread starting problems.

IF it is the solenoid look up your nearest Bosch dealer, you can get IT and the whole starter refurbished for reasonable money, we have an auto elecrtical guy in Leics who is also a Bosch dealer who does a good refurb for the same as a set of brushes and other consumables cost

[QUOTE=guzzibear] Do you mean the start relay under the seat or the start solenoid on top of the starter motor?
Â
For 30A start relay they are easily replaced see the tech thread starting problems.
Â
IF it is the solenoid look up your nearest Bosch dealer, you can get IT and the whole starter refurbished for reasonable money, we have an auto elecrtical guy in Leics who is also a Bosch dealer who does a good refurb for the same as a set of brushes and other consumables cost[/QUOTE]

Its the start relay…I’m sure…How do I get into the tech thread.Cant find it.

Here you go look in “Frequently asked Questions”

So you have a starter that sometimes doesn’t seem to work.
First try bridging from the large top terminal to the small spade terminal on the solenoid.
This will check that the solenoid operation works correctly.

If this works consistently then the problem is in the feed to the small spade terminal via the start relay.

If it doesn’t work, then try bridging between the large terminals on the solenoid. If this spins the starter (it may not engage the engine) then you have a solenoid fault. If it doesn’t, you have a starter motor fault.

Further, once you have found the start relay, put your finger on it while trying to start the engine (or remove spade from solenoid first and listen). If you feel/hear it click, but engine doesn’t turn, then you have a faulty feed to pin 5 or 85 of the start relay depending on the bike in question, so rewire it as suggested here.

If the relay doesn’t click, then you have a logic fault or poor start button contacts.

Logic faults would include side stand switch, neutral indicator and so on.

Great! Thanks!

The rewire may be what is needed, it cures most start relay problems.

I’ll give that a shot Brian.

Go get a new 30A+ relay with built in fuse most car shops sell them far better than the OEM one fitted I actually carry a spare relay as I have had one fail comming home from Wales, took under 5 mins to re do it on a Sunday in Abergavenny. I mount the thing under the seat where I can get to it.

9/10 click no start problems is this relay the other 1/10 it is low battery

Disagree, many are just down to the dodgy wiring design. The current for the solenoid is quite high, around 20+ amps, and Guzzi route this through the ignition switch. The switch is probably not rated for that sort of current, and you get poor contacts, so add to that the multiple other connections in the path up and down the bike to the start relay, and you don’t get enough umph at the start relay to operate the solenoid. A short wire from the battery pos via an inline fuse to the start relay contact gets round the voltage drop through the original circuit.

Sorry I meant AFTER doing the rewire modification, before doing it …the way Guzzi wire it is pure madness

We agree at last.

Swapped it in Abergavenny!!! Bet you didn’t get any offers of help or tools off the sport bike riders. You wouldn’t need any help anyway.

Stopped for fuel and the Vthou had the ominous click no start so pulled it off the forecourt and swapped the relay, It is under the seat easy to get at so took no time, been considering getting a relay seat like in the V11 and fitting it then replacing the old round “Tin” relays for a set of relays from Pyro Dan so IF it happens or the flasher relay dies it is a plug out and in jobbie, but not yet found a set of relay bases to suit.

I am kinda keeping an eye out for a set from a broken V11 then it will be fairly simple to re wire to the block.

my last relay had a convenient ‘hole’ in it which allowed it to fill up on the rain sodden ride to 1000 bikes last year then fur up like a furred up thing and cease to operate, the replacement is waterproof - what a great idea!! so worth checking for that while your investigating…

That’s great lads, thanks. I hope to have a look at this during the week and let you know.

The older Guzzis with the CEV ones are useless the newer accessory relays are real good

My V50 has one of the old type relays, still works fine after I did the wiring mod. Having said that, it’s bound to fail next time I use it.
Brian UK2013-03-26 09:03:58

Ahhh Master but YOU have “magic hands” unlike us mortals to whom elektrikery is a daaaaark and mysterious art Master …

No, I just shout at is and beat it with birch twigs.

Ahhhh the Fladulation technique Master with the Holy Birch twig, take note those who wish to gain enlightenment …The Master has spoken ahhhhhh

IS this a sign O Master