Hi Everyone. I’ve recently got a 1979 V50ii project bike which I intend to restore to original condition. Because I like to do plenty of miles on my bikes, it seems like a good idea to try to fix any electrical weaknesses (I’ve heard electrical issues can be a problem and this bike has some). I’d like to keep things looking as original as possible so I don’t want to change things like instrument cluster or switchgear.
What would be the items or wiring I should upgrade and do you have any suggestions for upgraded components?
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum
The wiring is generally sound but 46 years old in your case. The V50II has electronic ignition which is usually ok. Beware of corroded terminals and connectors, clean them or replace.
If you need a wiring diagram check out my thread (see here)
Best wishes Chris
In addition to what Chris says, on any old vehicle check battery terminals: the most important (neglected) one is the earth, both at the battery and also where it bolts to the frame - clean back to metal and vaseline
Apparently the insulation on the wires connecting the Ignition pickups to the main loom, (4 pin connector behind the LH Finned moulding below the Tank) breaks down over time, leading to misfire or worse; I investigated a couple of years ago as I had all the symptoms (Pic on here, back end 2023), to find wiring had already been replaced.. but one of the 4 pins was badly corroded.
You’ve got 12-pin connector under the tank, you’ll find a main +ve leading to ignition barrel there, bit thicker, but still same dia pin as others, and it corrodes usually badly. I exported it out of connector and used more massive connectors - for both +ve and -ve. That in consequence provides bit higher voltage everywhere, what prevents at least partly from “cilck no crank” issue, where decent voltage is needed at starter motor relay, fitted in front and above the battery as I remember. Also, front indicators loom inside the steel bar can be really poor(high resistance) and this may prevent bulbs from waking up at all - I have barely10 volts there. But LED bulbs do the job and original American round indicator relay isn’t bothered with different load, no mods needed.
2 Likes