What did you do with your Guzzi today ? 2021 .......

MoT ran out on the Lemon, been trying to start it so I could check it over, but won’t start.

It has only done about 10 miles since last year’s MOT, when I moved house. I got a new battery for that only in November.

Problem appears to be the starter motor isn’t rotating quickly enough, either because of mechanical resistance, or because it is not seeing enough voltage. The battery is new as I say, and I have charged it up.

Needs further investigation.

Jim

Try checking all contacts in the starter circuit including the battery. If it was running before it is likely to be only something small like a bad contact.

Do you have fuel and a spark?

Best wishes Chris

Thanks, yes, that is the plan for the weekend. I suspect something may have been compromised when I replaced the battery.

No Guzzi action for me this weekend - they’re all going to remain tucked up and out of the way. I do now have an appointment for my jab so salt permitting I’ll get my first ride out of the year for that.

Along with a couple of non-Guzzis Blue is overdue an MOT. Should be ready for it when the time comes but I’ll probably leave it another month yet. Jug is already exempt and the Pearl will become so from the end of this month.

This weekend I will be mostly bolting together the remodelled back end of my Hardley and looking at whether I really want to fit the rather ridiculous looking Z (handle)bars that I’ve bought for it. But you have to take your fun where you can find it.

Can’t get those Z bars to fit.

Been doing a bit of work on the paintwork on my 5 speed road going Stornello. Just needs lacquering now. Didn’t turn out to bad.

Stornello 5 speed by Don West, on Flickr

Hi Don, that looks really smart. Well done!

Cheers

Phil

Thanks, I’m quite pleased with how it came out. I see on Facebook that Guzzi have pinched my idea of using the colours of the Italian flag in the stripes.

Still waiting for another pair of Z bars to arrive in the post …

Two pairs? ZZ Tops?

Inspired to spend most of the day on Guzzi stuff and made headway with a T3 California seat in need of TLC, rebuild progressed on a pair of LMII forks destined for the Mongrel and the NTX750 spares organised ready for the new owner to collect in the coming weeks.
Happy days!

Fitted the front mudguard on my Stornello scrambler. Another bit done. I’m ging to have to tackle the exhaust system soon! I have a bundle of tubes and bends that need cut to size and then find someone to weld them up for me.

Stornello scrambler by Don West, on Flickr

Not a Guzzi in sight.
Hardley.jpg

The Hardley! :smiley:

Don, looking fab.

And I suppose that’s the Nimbus on the right. Not sure about those Z bars Butch. Unless you have muscles like Popeye, they could make the handling a bit tricky. Just conjecture on my part. I’ve never ridden a bike with bars like that.

Yes - whilst my Nimbus gently sl(w)eeps. I can’t fit everything onto those bars so I’m waiting for some larger ones to arrive. I was going for style (ahem) over practicality on this one. Change is good as a rest they say, and I can always revert.
Hardley2.jpg

Cut up the various sections of stainless pipe bends for the exhaust on the Stornello (a bit stressful making sure I had the lengths right) then taped them together to see how it all lines up. Actually wheeled the bike out of the garage to get a proper look at how everything lines up. Well pleased so far.
Working on the silencer baffling next.

Stornello Scrambler by Don West, on Flickr

Stornello scrambler exhaust by Don West, on Flickr

My last ride out was back in November when the Pearl carried me to the dentist for some emergency treatment on a crumbly tooth. I hadn’t even fired up an engine until last Saturday when I started Hardley to check she would run at all - been standing unloved for two years, and to check the oil that had wet sumped would return to the tank without drama.

But now excitement abounds. Booked in for my jab this coming Tuesday and thinking that once again the Pearl can take me away from all of this. Might give the battery a cheeky charge just to be sure she lights up OK that morning.

Still waiting for the arrival of replacement handlebars for Hardley.

Pulled the Pearl out at the weekend and stuck the battery on charge. Switched on the fuel to check for leaks and had it p155ing out of the airbox of all places. Tapping the float bowls was no cure either. Had to drop them both before continence resumed.

Fired right up on the button this morning, having last run in November. And a cracking ride for just the few miles down to the racecourse for my jab. Treated the old gal to some fresh fuel on the way back, Xrist knows how old the stuff was in the tank.

Anyway, I feel lifted by the ride now. Hopefully we can get out for real in a few short weeks. And it’s easy to forget just how good these little bikes are. Everyone should have one in their life.