What did you do with your Guzzi today? 2022...

Two up with luggage to Hampton Court Palace to see my daughter run a half marathon. Mostly motorway riding but the Stelvio was in fine fettle and consumed the miles with ease. We must get out on the bike more!

Been riding a KTM 450 around the desert in Morocco. Back at home now still waiting for parts for my palā€™s V50 top end refresh. Blue is still on SORN but will be needing an MOT shortly (last one).
Dune.PNG

1 Like

Another Moto Guzzi has joined the stable. A 1978 or 9 V1000 Convert. I am a sucker for quirky Moto Guzzis! This one is just about complete and original.
Spent the weekend cleaning it and then getting stuck into re-commissioning it. A new battery was fitted, the tank cleaned out and new fuel put in. Oil levels checked and the start button pressed. It started first time and after a little playing around with the carbs it settled down to a nice even tick over. All was looking good. the back wheel was turning freely whilst the bike was on the centre stand. when taken off the stand the wheel stopped turning and no drive was accomplished when he engine was revved. the investigations will continue!

Cheers

Phil

Cyclobutch, wow! :open_mouth:

JimBob, I had Hagons on my old 850, were a bit on the firm side. But handy with panniers and rack loaded for camping tho.

Have been off the road for the last 8 weeks following a retinal detachment. Managed to get the Norge out for a bimble yesterday though, such a relief. Just needed the battery charging and also replaced the broken rubber exhaust mount.

I have a new Hagon shock for it now, but slightly concerned about a clack in the clutch engagement I am hearing. Might try SP in Exeter to have a look and get the shock fitted.

fired up the Caliā€™ 3 prior to getting it motā€™d. not started since November. I turned the fuel off to empty the carbs in November. Started easy. :smiley:

Did some work on the Himi yesterday. Replaced the front indicators with rubbery ones, the rears have already been swapped out. Cut about a half inch off the overly long side stand and then welded the foot from a V50 stand that Iā€™d previously butchered.

Need to get Jug onto the table now to refit the battery, then run it up and balance the carbs. Rest of the servicing for the new season was done over winter.

Blue will be due an MOT soon, itā€™s last, and also some VED for this year.

For entertainment I always try and include a photo with my posts. Clicking on the attachments tab now seems not to work. Some throw over from the recent web site upgrade?

Now that the salt has finally gone, I was out for a bimble locally, first run after itā€™s bikes winter hibernation.
1CC1704E-2596-4802-95DA-89582B4E4303.jpeg

1 Like

Added a splash of colour to the rebuild
20220325_135837.jpg

Lovely ride out this morning to West Bay for coffee and a bacon roll. Beautiful views all round.

image4.jpeg

1 Like

Out again. Fab weather.

Apologies
Even editing the pic doesnā€™t change the orientationā€¦
F66E28A4-595D-4226-B218-45DC624C4BDD.jpeg

Currently in Worcester for a couple of days, rode down on the V7 850.

Charged the Jug battery, but it is finished. Bought a replacement - I use a Lucas brand garden mower type; 32 ah. With the bike up on the table I tried starting it only to get the most extraordinary back fires through the carbs. Scratched my head trying to think what Iā€™d b-d up at service. Turned out I hadnā€™t got the rotor arm on properly. Pulled out my vacuum gauges and checked the carb balance. All a bit inconclusive really.

The council here drefted more salt last night but I think weā€™re ready as soon as the roads are cleared again.

Thursday ā€“ rode back from Worcester in blizzards and freezing cold. :astonished:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just fitted an indicator squeaker on my 850T. I often forget to cancel my indicators, much to the amusement ( or annoyance ) of anyone riding with me. Also potentially dangerous if other traffic thinks I am turning when I am not. But you already knew that.

I have also fitted a couple of them to my bikes. Works great on the Spada as the beeper is inside the fairing. The device lasted about 10 miles on the Bonneville :frowning: I asume it was rattled to bits by the vibes!

Interesting, I remember turn signal squeakers being factory fitted on some BMWā€™s late '70ā€™s early '80ā€™s? And new owners, and magazine reviewers, couldnā€™t wait to get at them with wire cutters. :smiley: A popular concern at the time was they could be mistaken as a pelican crossing bleeper, telling pedestrians itā€™s OK to cross.

Personally Iā€™ve learned to check my idiot lights fairly frequently, and thus notice, fairly early on, if Iā€™ve forgot to cancel. Also, pressing the turn switch has become almost automatic, sometimes after Iā€™ve made a turn but I hadnā€™t actually indicated that time.

I have added an indicator sounder on my Stelvio, it works well for me. I find that it is better then relying on idiot lights that take my attention away from the road. There was one fitted to my Spada III which I liked.

The idea that it sounds anything like a pelican crossing just does not ring true to me, it sounds more like a lorry reversing and at low speeds gets the attention of pedestrians who look to see what all the beeping is about!

I would strongly recommend a sounder to all, far better tan leaving on an indicator and having cars pull out in front of you thinking you were not continuing along the road. The noise is annoying but that just helps you turn the indicator off!

Ha. My second bike - a 1967 CD175 (sloper) failed MOT on flasher rate and they put a new unit in it. The MOT station was in the railway arches down the side of Chelmsford bus station - think it might have been called the No-Go workshop. Anyway, I paid up and when I started the bike up it sounded like I was going to have a bus back over me. Scared the life out of me, but there was no bus about. Indicators had been left on from the MOT. Taped it all up and quietened it down as soon as I got home.

Blue had a separate beeper wired in when I bought it. That was the first piece of superfluous wiring I removed. Sidestand cut out was the second.

Been riding Jug here and there in the beautiful weather over the weekend. One problem still presetn that had began to manifest itself at the end of last year is the carb slides keep hanging up. I fitted lighter springs a couple of years back to help my poor limp wrists but they no longer seem to be doing the job.

Put the strong springs back in and that has fixed the issue. But Iā€™m restricted to no more than about 30 mph now as I donā€™t have the strength to go any faster.
Spring.PNG